Mission membership clerk

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mkulinicz

Mission membership clerk

Post by mkulinicz »

Dear All,
We have number of very small branches and lots of membership records problems in them. Most of the branches are not able to call the branch clerk who would be computer literate (to the level of using the Church software) and know English. Is there any way to call a "Mission clerk" who would be able to edit (and correct mistakes) in individual member data? Would we (mission presidency) be authorised to create such a calling and would it be possible to give that "admisnitrator's rights" to that person?

Best regards,

Marcin Kulinicz
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mission membership clerk

Post by russellhltn »

mkulinicz wrote:possible to give that "admisnitrator's rights" to that person?
Not that I've ever heard of. But branches in a mission may play by different rules given their very minimal requirements (Handbook 1: 9.1.3). Right now the Access Table doesn't seem to be working, so I can't check. The closest I've heard of is adding someone to a unit by being a Out-of-Unit member and giving them the proper calling. But I don't know as you can add one person to multiple units that way.
mkulinicz wrote:Most of the branches are not able to call the branch clerk who would be computer literate (to the level of using the Church software) and know English.
Why the requirement for English? The software (MLS) and website (LCR) comes in multiple languages. Does it not cover what you need?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

mkulinicz wrote:We have number of very small branches and lots of membership records problems in them. Most of the branches are not able to call the branch clerk who would be computer literate (to the level of using the Church software) and know English. Is there any way to call a "Mission clerk" who would be able to edit (and correct mistakes) in individual member data? Would we (mission presidency) be authorised to create such a calling and would it be possible to give that "admisnitrator's rights" to that person?
No. Clerks outside of wards and branches do not have the ability to edit membership records (except for Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations and temple recommend activation) on member records. You cannot override this -- it is based on the business rules identified by the Church departments responsible for these records after reviewing the Handbooks and consulting with presiding authorities.

It is possible for a person to have a calling in multiple units. A member could be given a calling as an assistant membership clerk in more than one unit and would have the ability to update membership records in those units after the callings are recorded. The mission presidency would need to determine whether this exception to the normal structure is appropriate for your mission. Another option would be to call assistant clerks in each branch and call an assistant mission clerk with the specific responsibility to train those branch and district clerks in their responsibilities.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Certainly not the preferred method, but I believe a missionary could be set up as an out-of-unit member and then given the clerk or assistant clerk calling. This would not affect the missionary's record in their home ward.

I recently returned from an overseas military deployment and we set up the entire branch as out-of-unit members except the Branch President and EQ President (who were on permanent status there). That allowed us to make calling and home teaching assignments. I served as the Branch Clerk and appeared to have full rights in that calling as an out-of-unit member. We did not use MLS - did everything online.

This is not maintenance-free - once the missionary moves to another assignment, their out-of-unit membership record would have to be canceled manually.

Return to “Membership Help”