Adding non-member to household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Adding non-member to household

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Handbook 1: 13.6.2, item #4. As far as permission, it looks to me like you'd need the legal parent(s). The paperwork is proof of the permission, so I'm not sure as it would be wise to let the guardians sign it unless they state they're doing it under the direction of the parents.
Although the handbook does only mention parents, the form itself says parent or legal guardian. Given there is a slight conflict between two official sources the bishop will need to decide how he wants to proceed possibly in consultation with the stake president.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Although the handbook does only mention parents, the form itself says parent or legal guardian.
Assuming the form comes from LCR, it may be more up to date than the Handbook. At least you have a basis for accepting the guardian's signature besides just interpreting things to one's benefit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:Although the handbook does only mention parents, the form itself says parent or legal guardian.
Assuming the form comes from LCR, it may be more up to date than the Handbook. At least you have a basis for accepting the guardian's signature besides just interpreting things to one's benefit.
It is from LCR and it actually directs the clerk to enter the information in Leader and Clerk Resources so it must have been updated in connection with the LCR release.
UtahJohn22

Post by UtahJohn22 »

I like to think my situation is similar. Our branch has an inactive sister who recently got married to a non-member. So far, she and her husband have declined to give us marriage information. Our recent membership audit wants some information recorded for him. I have no information on their marriage, but LCR wants "a valid date." (I tried putting "Unavailable" and "N/A," but that didn't work.) Any ideas?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

The only reason the audit would want marriage information is that you, or someone else in the ward, told the system that she was married. Not necessary. Treat her as any other less active single sister. Next I'd let the bishop decide if they should remain on the records.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

wrigjef wrote:The only reason the audit would want marriage information is that you, or someone else in the ward, told the system that she was married. Not necessary. Treat her as any other less active single sister. Next I'd let the bishop decide if they should remain on the records.
The membership audit displays a list of "single" adults (per their membership records), and asks you to mark which are actually married. Each one you mark results in an audit exception, which must be corrected. However, as stated, LCR requires information that may be unobtainable, before a non-member spouse can be added. We can't correct the exceptions without the data, which is not available to us.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:Treat her as any other less active single sister. Next I'd let the bishop decide if they should remain on the records.
??? I'm not sure as there's any choice in the matter. If you have a good address on her and she's in the ward boundaries, I don't think you have any valid options. Not unless you want to ask her if she's willing to write a letter to remover her name from church records.

If we're talking about a YSA ward, then by all means move her to a family ward - but don't expect any Christmas cards from the ward you send her to. ;)

drepouille wrote:The membership audit displays a list of "single" adults (per their membership records), and asks you to mark which are actually married. Each one you mark results in an audit exception, which must be corrected. However, as stated, LCR requires information that may be unobtainable, before a non-member spouse can be added. We can't correct the exceptions without the data, which is not available to us.
You might want to see what the minimum information is. It might only be a name and marriage year. That may be obtainable - especially if the local paper runs a list of marriages. Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd lose sleep going with a estimate. I'd think being a bit off on the year is preferable to a wrong marital status. The lack of a month/day in the date may motivate someone to correct it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:You might want to see what the minimum information is. It might only be a name and marriage year. That may be obtainable - especially if the local paper runs a list of marriages.
If the marriage was performed locally, you should be able to find a record of it in the county clerk's office.
russellhltn wrote:Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd lose sleep going with a estimate. I'd think being a bit off on the year is preferable to a wrong marital status. The lack of a month/day in the date may motivate someone to correct it.
Speaking for myself, I would never enter incorrect information on a membership record. If you are able to enter just the year, fine. But make sure it is the correct year.

Someone here decided to estimate a death date. It was corrected within a week. And it still shows up incorrectly in numerous places after nearly seven years.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

If I knew that the information was not ontainable from the member I personally would not acknowledge that the marriage exists and create an audit exception for myself. I certainly would not play detective digging for information that the member didn't want me to have. Membership (with complete records) in the Church is a blessing to the member, if that's not something they want, I don't think it's my responsibility to force it.

Like I said, in all cases it's best to explain to the Bishop and let him outline a plan.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:If I knew that the information was not ontainable from the member I personally would not acknowledge that the marriage exists and create an audit exception for myself. I certainly would not play detective digging for information that the member didn't want me to have. Membership (with complete records) in the Church is a blessing to the member, if that's not something they want, I don't think it's my responsibility to force it.

Like I said, in all cases it's best to explain to the Bishop and let him outline a plan.
Membership is indeed a blessing to the member. Accurate records, however, are the responsibility of the bishop (with assistance from the clerk). So your last sentence is the correct one -- counsel with the bishop, and if he directs you to find and add information, you do it; if he says to leave it alone, you do that.

Return to “Membership Help”