Create Record for child already listed in family

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
showseason

Create Record for child already listed in family

Post by showseason »

The primary turned in their attendance rolls for the 1st quarter of 2017 with several written in entries of children (under the age of 8) not showing on the rolls. When I look at some of these families, those children are listed, although no blessing ever occurred. I assumed I could create a record for these children so they would show on the primary rolls, but when I try to do that it says that the name of the child is already listed so I cannot duplicate it. Whats the option? Remove the children and replace with the newly created record? Appreciate any help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Create Record for child already listed in family

Post by russellhltn »

There are two areas where children can show, and there seems to be a lot of confusion. On the parent's records, the children will show up in what I call "the genealogy" section. Children will appear there regardless of if they are in the family group, still living at home, or even still living! Being listed there is no promise that a child-of-record exists for them.

When you got to search for individual records, can you find the children? If not, then they're probably not members of your ward. They may not even have a record. (Note, if these children's parents are divorced, the record might be in the ward with the Ex. In that case, you'll need to create an out-of-unit record for them.)

The last possibility is that the records exist, and you do have them, but they're not in their proper classes. A close examination will be required to see if that's what's happening.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rkmann

Post by rkmann »

I face a similar issue regarding the 4-year-old daughter of members of our ward. Her name and birth date are listed under Family in the parents' records but not under Household. Also, the name that is listed under Family is not linked (i.e., to a record). I attempted to Edit the name (in /Family) and to create a new record but, in the end, the system concluded that I was attempting to duplicate an identity and I aborted. None of the other options that were presented (upon trying to Edit this record) seemed to be appropriate. Any help? PS - I have the full name, DOB and place of birth info.
johnmortensen

Post by johnmortensen »

I'm having the same issue. A convert member who recently moved in to our ward has two children. Her 10-year-old son has a record, baptism date, everything, but her 8-year-old daughter does not show up on the member list or in the household. When I try to create the record it says a duplicate may exist and shows me the existing name. When I try to request the child's record, it says no such record is found. The daughter's info shows up on the mother's profile under the family tab, but attempting to edit it just sends me to the Create Record option.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd suggest calling Local Unit Support. I suspect there is a placeholder record for the child listed on the parents record, but it's not a real membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sjfriend0111

Post by sjfriend0111 »

anyone find a real fix? I have the same problem with 3 children including 1 that was supposedly baptized in previous ward but when I request record I get the "no record found". Need to fix soon as one is coming of baptism age.
sjfriend0111

Post by sjfriend0111 »

I ended up calling the help line and they stated they can see the children but for some reason not linked to this family. They have to fix something then I'll get them.

Return to “Membership Help”