member listed under maiden name

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dinsdct

member listed under maiden name

Post by dinsdct »

I received a membership record for a sister recently, her record lists her under her maiden name and not her married name, shouldn't it be under her married name ?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: member listed under maiden name

Post by sbradshaw »

Her full name on her membership record should match whatever her legal name is. In most cases in the United States, her legal last name changes to her husband's last name, but that's not always the case. Check with her to find out what her legal name is, and if needed, you can update it.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

How?
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I have this question too. Searching help pages to find out how to change a last name or at least what info is required to do so
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote:How?
Leader and Clerk Resources
Membership
Select Member Name
View Profile
Click the Edit Pencil

Make sure the Full Name, Preferred Name, and (for sisters) Maiden Name are correct.

Click the Household Tab and select Edit Household Name.
Make sure the correct Household Name is shown.

The last step is usually the one that is forgotten and causes the a sister to show up with a different last name than expected.

Your bishop is able to give you permission to make these changes.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Got the name changed just fine and added her to the household.

This newlywed couple moved into the ward he was a nonmember and her records never showed up. Shortly after moving in, he was baptized and the mission created a record however he was a household of his own. When it was discovered that we did not have her records, I looked at "family" on his and it showed that he was married to a nonmember. I searched for the real record but cold not find it till I got her maiden name. I moved it into the ward and added to his household and finally changed her name (all this was done under the Bishops direction).

Now the problem is that under "family" on his record he is still listed as being married to a nonmember and for "relationship" it says "other". My guess is that I might have to call Salt Lake to get it sorted out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:My guess is that I might have to call Salt Lake to get it sorted out.
That's the recommended solution. It seems to be a common problem when a non-member spouse gets baptized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Oh the spouse (wife) was a member before they were married and before the husband was baptized. Somehow a mistake was made most lIkely when his record was created. Her name was not changed on the records when they got married so whoever created his record could not find her record so she was entered as a non-member spouse.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:Her name was not changed on the records when they got married so whoever created his record could not find her record so she was entered as a non-member spouse.
I've seen a number of posts here where baptized non-member spouses are married in name, but not properly linked together. So, I tend to doubt if the old name was an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”