Non-Member Record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ARTEST4ECHO

Non-Member Record

Post by ARTEST4ECHO »

I tried to do a search in this forum, but all the information I found really only applied to the pre-Leader and Clerks Resouce (Pre-LCR) days, so MLS no loner has the functions discribed. I'm new at the membership clerk thing, but I've been stake finance clerk before. However, that was also pre-LCR days also, so you will have to forgive me for being a bit out of date.

My particular case is (trying not to get into confidental issues), I have a family in our ward. The two children, age 9 and 11, and mom are members,. The mom and dad are divorced. My problem is, while the mom is a member, the father is no longer a member, and the father has sole custody. The mom is not allowed anything but supervised visitation.

The father is still willing to have people visit and is, while not personally interested in the church, he is welcome to having the kids be active.

So my problem is, It's kind of odd to put a 11-year-old as head of household, without a father or mother in the home. It creates this gap, where there is not adult in the home, assigned to Presthood or Relief Socity.

I know that at some point in the past, it was possible to make non-member records. I would have done this, but it seems that this is no longer the case. I'm not sure what to do here.
eblood66

Re: Non-Member Record

Post by eblood66 »

No, non-member records are no longer supported. In a situation like this it is OK for a child to be the head-of-household.

More information is available in the Help
Center
br6mxr

Post by br6mxr »

What if the no longer member father and the Bishop request that a non-member record be created to avoid a child being the head of household? Is there no workaround?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

br6mxr wrote:What if the no longer member father and the Bishop request that a non-member record be created to avoid a child being the head of household? Is there no workaround?
Not that I'm aware of. You can try contacting support to see if something can be done. But I have my doubts. I take it that there's no member mother as she would normally become the HoH with an option (via support) to display the non-member husband in the directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

br6mxr wrote:What if the no longer member father and the Bishop request that a non-member record be created to avoid a child being the head of household? Is there no workaround?
According to the current definitions, the head of household must be a member of the Church.
br6mxr

Post by br6mxr »

Does the 'member of the church' definition extend to an under 8 year old that was blessed and the blessing recorded in LCR?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

br6mxr wrote:Does the 'member of the church' definition extend to an under 8 year old that was blessed and the blessing recorded in LCR?
Yes, they are "members of record". See General Handbook 33.6.2 for a complete description.
jdvarnon

Post by jdvarnon »

So if a child has been blessed a record is created and can be head of household., is that correct?
What if the 8 year old is not blessed or baptized?
I know that you can create a “child of record” entry with parents approval. Can the child be head of household in that case?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdvarnon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:48 pm So if a child has been blessed a record is created and can be head of household., is that correct?
If the parents/guardians living with them are non-members, yes.

jdvarnon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:48 pm What if the 8 year old is not blessed or baptized?
I know that you can create a “child of record” entry with parents approval. Can the child be head of household in that case?
You cannot create a "child of record" once they reach the age of 8 regardless of parental approval. Nothing can be done until they are baptized (which requires parental approval.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdvarnon

Post by jdvarnon »

Oh thanks for the reply. So the primary cannot have them on the role if they are over 8 and a record has not been created earlier.

Return to “Membership Help”