Stake/Ward Reorganization and impact on YSA BIshop records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
geek

Stake/Ward Reorganization and impact on YSA BIshop records

Post by geek »

The situation:
A YSA bishop is serving over a YSA ward in Stake 1. He lives in Ward A in Stake 2.
As part of a big boundary reorganization, Ward K was created, in Stake 1, which now includes the YSA bishop's residence.

The membership records for his wife and he are currently in the YSA ward. No out-of-unit record exists. The bishop of the new ward, Ward K, has received tithing from the YSA bishop and the HP and RS leaders in Ward K want to formally assign them home and visiting teachers.

Options:
1. Should the bishop's record remain in the YSA ward with an out-of-unit record in his residential ward, Ward K?
2. Should the bishop's record be moved to the new residential ward, Ward K, with an out-of-unit record created back to the YSA ward?

We want to do the proper thing without interrupting operations in the YSA ward (temple recommends, tithing and finances, etc.)

(As part of the reorganization, we have no new membership clerk but I previously held that role in the old instance of the ward; I'm now the executive secretary in the new Ward K.)

Thanks.
eblood66

Re: Stake/Ward Reorganization and impact on YSA BIshop records

Post by eblood66 »

You should review Handbook 1 section 13.6.5. It is quite clear that the bishop's (and his family's) records should be in his home ward. An out-of-unit record should be created in the YSA ward so he can remain recorded as bishop of the ward. The out of unit record and the calling should give him all the necessary access to records and systems for the YSA ward.

I'm not sure how you can make this change without temporarily releasing him as bishop. You may want to call Local Unit Support to see if this can be done without creating a false calling history.
geek

Post by geek »

Thanks - I was always under the assumption his records should be in his home ward but since he was already in this position when he "moved" into our ward, I don't know the history of what was done or why it was done.

We'll investigate with Local Unit Support.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

eblood66 wrote:I'm not sure how you can make this change without temporarily releasing him as bishop. You may want to call Local Unit Support to see if this can be done without creating a false calling history.
According to this post from jonesrk, bishops are NOT automatically released when their records are moved. So the proposed move theoretically shouldn't cause a problem, but it would still be prudent to check with Support first.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote:
eblood66 wrote:I'm not sure how you can make this change without temporarily releasing him as bishop. You may want to call Local Unit Support to see if this can be done without creating a false calling history.
According to this post from jonesrk, bishops are NOT automatically released when their records are moved. So the proposed move theoretically shouldn't cause a problem, but it would still be prudent to check with Support first.
It won't release him, but if his wife has a calling she would get released with the move.

Return to “Membership Help”