GEO codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: GEO codes

Post by russellhltn »

mllarsen wrote:At this point with support for GEO codes being discontinued, should our stake plan on reverting back to spreadsheets? Is there a possibility that LCR is going support a similar feature?
Even if it does come to LCR, I wouldn't expect it to come "real soon". So, it seems at minimum you'll need a "Plan B" until (if) it comes back.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

You can still use Geo Codes if you go the membership dropdown 3 from the top household geo codes
jsdzado

Post by jsdzado »

I'm in a YSA ward with 4 stakes of YSA that feed into it, is there a standalone tool to pull out the Stake and Ward information for the home address of all the members and export to some format (e.g. excel)? I'm starting to write my own javascript tool with google maps and ward boundaries in KML, but if something exists already I would prefer to use that...This thread seems to be the most related to what could work.
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

It would sure be nice to keep the way it is until them add it to LCR Or have away to up loaded it from a cvs file once the do add it to lcr
jones48

Post by jones48 »

I am the Membership clerk in a rural ward in central Florida. Our ward spans an area estimated at 600 sq Miles. We are in an area subject to Hurricanes, tropical storms and tornadoes. We use the Geo Codes to define boundaries within the Ward that identify members into groupings that would allow quick response when a storm hits and travel is difficult or impossible over the area of the Ward. The Geo Codes allow coding members, by location and need, and allows us to produce a printable list that can be put into Zone Captains hands to coordinate the needs of members in their area, immediately following the storm. This is combined with resources from Ward Map. However Ward Map does not give us the option of setting up geographic Zones or other classifications for members. Currently Geo Codes is only available on MLS. Please consider adding this function to LCR or maintaining MLS so that we do not lose this valuable function.
Thank you
Alan Jones
Clermont Fla Ward, Membership Clerk
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

Jones48 i have started a excel program that if you have your current data, you can move it over to this program and pull update from LCR it will also group your info by zones in a report for you zone leaders. you can contact me if you would like You can get my info in our ward contact info in unit number 91596 look for Ward Assistant Clerk (Scott) Church Directory of Org and leaders
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I wish the Export Households function of the directory broke the zip code into a separate field. I use Zip+4 whenever possible, and that could be a good way of organizing households into geographical areas.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

If you're going to open it in Excel, once you open it add a column to the right of the Zip code field. Then click on the top of the current Zip columns then go to Data -Text to Columns then click on Delimited , then click Other. box to the right add a - then Finish
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Wouldn't that just put the last four digits of the zip code into the new column?
What if the address contains another hyphen character?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
dlpyro1957

Post by dlpyro1957 »

The zip will start in its own column and this will split in tp 2 columns
I was thinking not knowing how big your ward is but the plus 4 could be a very small area. If you are useing zone leader's they may end up having alot of zones.
Are you working off a map or just lds maps. You can down load map of just your ward in lds.org

Return to “Membership Help”