Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jamauai

Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Post by jamauai »

A 14 yr old girl who recently moved into the ward and staying with relatives came in the office last Sunday asking me to transfer her records from Arizona. Her friend and/or cousin was also in the room, probably same age. Am I supposed to ask her parent/guardian for some verification or do I just request the records? What if the parent/guardians are non-members? Do you have to be a certain age to ask the clerk to transfer your record?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Minors requesting to transfer their own records

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know of any such policy. One that could come into play is how long will she be there? Generally you don't move records if it's less than 3 months. Read Handbook 1: 13.6.4 for details.

As far as being a 14 year old, I don't see a problem. (She is where she is and doesn't need the church's permission to be there.) However, you might want to run it past the bishop first.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

You may want to check with whoever she is staying with to verify the situation and make sure (as russellhltn said) that the move is long enough to justify moving the records. But in general records are supposed to be in the ward where the person resides.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I would be uncomfortable doing anything with a minor's record, especially the address, without first consulting with the parent(s) or guardian(s). A minor does not have legal capacity to request changes.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Membership Help”