Add divorce from previous spouse

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jeffreybschwartz

Cancellation of sealing Would not process

Post by jeffreybschwartz »

My Bishop said the cancellation of sealing form would not process because the prior spouse divorce had not been entered. I thought that in order to show a current spouse(IE record civil marriage). that the divorce had to be entered. What would be preventing this from going through and what do I need to give to my Bishop so it will process?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Add divorce from previous spouse

Post by russellhltn »

I'd call local unit support. I doubt if there's anything you can do from your end that wouldn't end up causing more problems.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
duodua

Post by duodua »

eblood66 wrote:
udylj wrote:We have a brother who has remarried about a year ago. He was divorced from his previous spouse but the divorce information is not on his current membership. How can I add the divorce information to his current membership?
Assuming that the old marriage is currently showing then from the menu select Membership > Records > Terminate Marriage. Enter the divorce date and 'Divorce' as the Termination Reason. Close the screen and save.

If the new marriage is the current marriage showing then the divorce must have already been recorded. Once a person is remarried the record in MLS no longer shows anything about the previous marriage except perhaps that the person was sealed to a prior spouse.

Please how can i do this in lcr???
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

duodua wrote:Please how can i do this in lcr???
First find the member profile (using for instance the Member List). Click on the Family tab, then click on the pencil icon to the right of the marriage information. Then click on the Change Marriage Status button and follow through the prompts.
duodua

Post by duodua »

Thank you very much.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Within LCR, I've entered date of birth for existing non-member husband.
Later, I found that they divorced.
I can't add a termination date.
Should I just delete "date of birth". Would that bring up "termination date"?
Last edited by jfackerson on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I know, the system only holds one marriage. I wouldn't think you'd see a prior spouse.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Must clarify. Existing displayed husband died after their divorce.
He's still on this less active members MR.
Death date had already been entered by some other MemRecClk.
Actually, "Date of Death" does not appear either, just the word, "Deceased".
"Present Spouse" is still listed on her MR, although they were divorced back in year, 1984.
Shouldn't his name be removed. I can't enter "Termination" "Divorce" "Date".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's not adding up. It might do odd things if she's sealed to a excommunicated member.

I think it's time to call support.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:That's not adding up. It might do odd things if she's sealed to a excommunicated member.

I think it's time to call support.
It does sound odd so I expect that will be needed. But just to be clear, in order to terminate a marriage (due to death or divorce) you first click the pencil icon on the right side of the marriage information and then click on the Change Marriage Status button that appears. There isn't a date of divorce or date of death field visible until after you click Change Marriage Status button.

Return to “Membership Help”