Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eric.ao.yuli

Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Post by eric.ao.yuli »

Our ward is currently in the habit of the bishop making a phone call to a member's previous bishop each time a new membership record is received in our ward. I looked in the online Handbook 2 (19.1.1), where the wording is:
"Leaders may extend a Church calling only after (1) a person’s membership record is on file in the ward and has been carefully reviewed by the bishop or (2) the bishop has contacted the member’s previous bishop to determine that the member is worthy for the calling and to verify that his or her membership record does not include an annotation or a comment about unresolved Church discipline."
I showed it to our bishop, and he mentioned that he remembers receiving a letter from SLC that changed the "or" to an "and", meaning that both statements (1) and (2) need to be completed before issuing a calling. He feels that the handbook may not have been updated. I searched the Official Communications Library and could not find the letter.

Is anyone aware of a letter that changed the wording? Or of a requirement to call the previous bishop before issuing a calling if the member's membership record has already been received in the new ward? Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Phone call to previous bishop before extending callings

Post by russellhltn »

The on-line version is current.

The problem with the "and" theory is that there is no time limit specified. If a member's records have been in the ward for 10 years, is it necessary to call the prior bishop? I don't think so. But I can understand where a bishop who has just received records would want to consult with the prior bishop.

I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

eric.ao.yuli wrote:I showed it to our bishop, and he mentioned that he remembers receiving a letter from SLC that changed the "or" to an "and", meaning that both statements (1) and (2) need to be completed before issuing a calling. He feels that the handbook may not have been updated. I searched the Official Communications Library and could not find the letter.
Unless the Bishop can produce an official communication after 2010 the Handbook is the guideline.

The Bishop may want to review the Training Material from the world wide training in 2010 and 2011. Pay particular attention to President Monsons opening remarks in 2010.
Last edited by Gary_Miller on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote: I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.
Correct see Handbook 1, 3.3.3.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:The on-line version is current.

The problem with the "and" theory is that there is no time limit specified. If a member's records have been in the ward for 10 years, is it necessary to call the prior bishop? I don't think so. But I can understand where a bishop who has just received records would want to consult with the prior bishop.

I believe there is a requirement for temple recommends if the member hasn't been in the ward for a year.
That right. See Handbook 1 section 3.3.3.

Although it isn't a requirement my bishop likes to contact the previous bishop in all cases. For one, he just likes to find out about any special needs or situations that might be helpful to know. And two, it means he doesn't have to contact the bishop later if the member needs a recommend before they've been in the ward a year.

Our stake president encourages the practice as well.

Unless the bishop doesn't really want to do it and just thinks he has too, I wouldn't worry about it. If he does really want to know what is required then you can tell him the online handbook is up to date. For example, after an official letter regarding a single adult policy a few months ago the handbook was updated within 2 or 3 weeks.
eric.ao.yuli

Post by eric.ao.yuli »

Thanks for all the replies. My bishop doesn't mind making the calls, but it is nice to have clarification. I wasn't aware of the temple recommend requirement, so that is a good reason to continue making contact with the previous bishop.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm glad it isn't a requirement to do both in all cases. The YSA student wards in my YSA stake would be drowning in incoming and outgoing phone calls every semester change! :)
ch15154

Post by ch15154 »

Our bishop delegates the contacting of former bishop of members moving into our ward to ward clerk, who stipulates to former bishop to contact new bishop if any sensitive info needs to be communicated, otherwise a "nothing to report" reply can be sent to clerk and relayed to new bishop.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Since you have "resurrected" ;) a 10-year old topic, it seems appropriate to also mention the current Handbook wording. In GHB 30.1.1 Determining who to call, the current policy states that before extending a calling, the Bishop reviews the member's record for annotations or restrictions. And if the calling is extended prior to receiving the membership records, the Bishop contacts the previous Bishop. I couldn't find anything for callings, specifying any instruction to contact a previous Bishop after the records are in the new ward (although of course a Bishop still has that discretion if he desires).

GHB 26.5.4 still lists the requirement regarding temple recommends, if a member has not lived in the same ward for a year, the Bishop (or counselor) contacts the previous Bishop.

Return to “Membership Help”