Missionary not listed in Ward Missionary List

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Biggles

Re: Missionary not listed in Ward Missionary List

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:To clear up any misunderstanding. I’m not talking about transferring the units financial responsibility, I’m talking about the missionary appearing in another wards full time Ward Missionary list.
Right. But I think we're talking apples and oranges. OP wants to donate to the account, not just see it on the ward directory.
I’ve not mentioned the ward directory anywhere in my previous posts on this matter. I’m talking about the Ward Missionary donation list. I’m stating that it is possible to donate to that particular missionary’s account, with the help of the GSC to enable the facility.. I repeat, I have done this in my own ward, this year!

As an afterthought. Unlike the US, here in the UK we aren’t able to make online donations. In MLS, the Ward category had the missionary’s name added to our drop down list. The procedure I’ve explained might not be an option for a country that has the ability to make online donations. Hence the confusion.
Last edited by Biggles on Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:I’m talking about the Ward Missionary donation list. I’m stating that it is possible to donate to that particular missionary’s account,
with the help of the GSC to enable the facility.. I repeat, I have done this in my own ward, this year!
Without being the unit financially responsible? How does that work?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
Biggles wrote:I’m talking about the Ward Missionary donation list. I’m stating that it is possible to donate to that particular missionary’s account,
with the help of the GSC to enable the facility.. I repeat, I have done this in my own ward, this year!
Without being the unit financially responsible? How does that work?
I don’t know, but the GSC has the know how to implement. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I didn’t know that this was possible, until I called them. GSC required the full name of the missionary and the ward that has the financial responsibility. Although I was advised that it might take a couple of days to happen, from calling the GSC it actually took under an hour for the missionary’s name to appear.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Right, but how does it function? Do funds deposited there immediately get swept? Or, are they withdrawing a fixed amount (half?) for the missionary?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

The full donated amount is immediately transferred to the relevant missionary’s account. Effectively the ward making the donation is just an intermediary in the process.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:The full donated amount is immediately transferred to the relevant missionary’s account. Effectively the ward making the donation is just an intermediary in the process.
Cool! Although, with on-line donations it seems to be of limited use. If it could go between countries, it would really be something. However, OP is having problems locating the missionary's account, suggesting it's not where it should be.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

scgallafent wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:
russellhltn wrote:In the meantime, I'd suggest donating to the "Ward Missionary Fund". The clerk can transfer the funds later after the account is set up.
This will only work if the donor and the missionary are in the same ward, since there's no way to donate to the generic Ward Missionary Fund in a different ward.
I haven't tested it, but "Ward Missionary Fund" is an option after you select a different ward.
I have tested it. When I used my daughter's ward in a neighboring stake, I could donate to any of her ward's missionaries or to the "Ward Missionary Fund."
David.prince

Post by David.prince »

Any insight on how to add a missionary's name to the list of missionaries serving so that people can donate to that person?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

David.prince wrote:Any insight on how to add a missionary's name to the list of missionaries serving so that people can donate to that person?
Assuming your ward is the one financially responsible, it happens automatically right around the time the missionary enters the MTC, but no later than when the first payment is due.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:
David.prince wrote:Any insight on how to add a missionary's name to the list of missionaries serving so that people can donate to that person?
Assuming your ward is the one financially responsible, it happens automatically right around the time the missionary enters the MTC, but no later than when the first payment is due.
You cannot add it, as I understand. If you believe it should be there and it is not, something is amiss that the Service Center will probably have to assist with. The Ward/Branch clerk can make that request for assistance.

Return to “Membership Help”