How can I add date of death to a non-member spouse?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lomondview

How can I add date of death to a non-member spouse?

Post by lomondview »

LDS.org - membership records - under edit - only allows me to update the marriage date, place, and country.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How can I add date of death to a non-member spouse?

Post by russellhltn »

You terminate the marriage - reason: death.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:You terminate the marriage - reason: death.
Note that this still has to be done in MLS. Terminating marriages cannot be done on LCR (lds.org) yet.
lomondview

Post by lomondview »

thank you both for your help.

HQ said the same thing:

1. Re: the time delay between synching data in MLS and LCR - It can take at least an Hour sometimes more for updates made on MLS to get to LCR or vise versa. Calling updates can take up to a day depending on what kind of calling update it was. If the calling needs to be approved by a Headquarters, like when a bishop or Stake callings are changed, it can take a business day for it to be approved.
The programs sync with each other on different cycles. MLS to the membership database is hourly, but I am not aware of which part of that hour it syncs. Which is why it can take longer than an hour to update. The calling database is on a 12/24 sync, meaning it syncs every 12th and 24th hour of the day.

Sorry for the inconvenience but there is not a way to speed up the times it takes for the systems to sync. When all is moved to LCR it will speed up, thought the Calling sync might stay the same. The programmers have not given more information about that sync yet.

1. Re: the time delay between LCR and MLS. It is one of the reasons we are moving away from MLS. There is currently not a way to speed up the communications between the several programs involved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2. The only way to record a death of a non member spouse is to Terminate the Marriage of the Member. Mark the reason for the termination as "Death of Spouse"
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

The calling sync to MLS is right away. The calling sync that is delayed is to the permissions system, so after adding a calling it can take up to a day to have access to other systems that that calling gives you.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:The calling sync to MLS is right away.
Well, after the next MLS send/receive, anyway. :)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davidrjisnow

Post by davidrjisnow »

How can I add date of death of non-member spouse
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidrjisnow wrote:How can I add date of death of non-member spouse
The church does not track non-members. All you can do is terminate the marriage - reason: death.

If the member wants to track it, they can enter the spouse's information into FamilySearch.

Return to “Membership Help”