Tithing Settlement Question - "Zero Balance Option"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
AllredDB

Tithing Settlement Question - "Zero Balance Option"

Post by AllredDB »

Sorry. Pretty new at this. (I searched for similar threads but didn't find anything off the bat.) In our YSA ward, we have two ward members that are not showing donor records even with the "show zero balance option" selected in MLS. Any suggestions on what to do about this?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

It looks like you ARE looking in the right place under >Finance>Finance Reports>Donor Statements. (If you're printing tithing settlement statements they can sometimes have incomplete information but the normal "Donor Statements" are usually complete.) So I would suggest you search for the names in question under >Finance>Add/Update Donors as a first step. Verify that the donors in question are, in fact, listed properly there and their status is "Visible" and their "type" is "Member" with proper membership numbers attached.

Since you're only searching for two individuals it may be relatively easy to track them down in MLS. If they're not among the MLS donor names, you will have to figure out when they might have made donations and look for their names in the batch reports for those Sundays. If their names don't appear there but you're SURE they donated, then you'll have to search through the original, white donation slips and figure out why their donations were missing or were recorded under different names.

This is where I would start. If none of these steps help you figure out the problem then I could "go deeper" in my suggestions. Or I suppose it's always possible that, since it's a YSA ward with members who potentially move often, they didn't actually donate to your ward this year but to some other ward. Your ward's donation records will not show donations received by another ward. The donor would have to contact the previous ward for a print-out (for tax purposes or just personal records). The donor should not need to show print-outs from a previous ward during tithing settlement. The Bishop should "take their word for it" if they say they donated elsewhere (as far as I understand the Bishop's responsibility).
AllredDB

Post by AllredDB »

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate the suggestions! We'll keep digging. :cool:

Return to “Local Unit Finance”