CUBS: Confusion on how sub-categories "roll-up" into parent categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
coloradotechie-p40

CUBS: Confusion on how sub-categories "roll-up" into parent categories

Post by coloradotechie-p40 »

I just read CUBS: Budget subcategory strategies and I'm left with a question:

How exactly do the sub-categories roll-up to the parent categories?

Let me try to explain with an example (amounts are made up):

We have 2 Elders Quorums, and there is currently a "Budget:Elders Quorum" category. We want to allocate $100 to each Elders Quorum and $50 to be allocated as a shared amount.

So, essentially I was thinking about allocating the $250* as follows:
OPTION 1:
Budget:Elders Quorum:EQ1 --- $100
Budget:Elders Quorum:EQ2 --- $100
Budget:Elders Quorum --- $50

Or should I instead put the $50 into a sub-category as follows:
OPTION 2:
Budget:Elders Quorum:EQ1 --- $100
Budget:Elders Quorum:EQ2 --- $100
Budget:Elders Quorum:Shared --- $50
Budget:Elders Quorum ---- $0

So, here is my best guess of how the system will work:

You could go with either option because every category can have it's own balance, and it's sub-categories can have their own balance (so option 1 the balance of my main EQ category would be $50 and option 2 the main EQ category's balance would be $0). For Reporting purposes, the Monthly Financial Report is going to combine my EQ category and all it's sub-categories together to get the final balance ($250 for both options).

Furthermore, my guess is that I would be able to write checks against any of the categories or sub-categories for either of my options above... the monthly report is just going to roll all of the expenses together and give me my final numbers in aggregate for each main category (so a negative balance for EQ1 would be combined with a positive balance for EQ2 and all rolled up nice and neat for reporting).

Am I thinking correctly about all of this?

Thanks~!
waynecooke

Budget: Allocation catagories

Post by waynecooke »

This may sound like a basic question, but I haven't seen anything this simple on the treads or the instructions from CHQ:

Post-Cubs, when we post expenses, do they go into the *Budget:Budget Allocation: BU-YOUNG WOMEN (for example), or the Budget:Young Women?

As an *non-accounting* type, this may be obvious to those who know, but help, please.:confused:
coloradotechie-p40

wcooke wrote:Post-Cubs, when we post expenses, do they go into the *Budget:Budget Allocation: BU-YOUNG WOMEN (for example), or the Budget:Young Women?
Great question. I found the answer on the bottom of page 2 of the "Church Unit Banking (CUBS) Transition" document that was sent to everyone via MLS (it shows up under Finances > Reports/Reconcile > Finance Statements" or online here.)
If you sum all of your old budget subcategories and the Budget Allocations subcategory, you'll see that they equal zero. You SHOULD NOT use these old budget categories for new expenses.
So, once you transfer the positive amounts in your old budget subcategories (e.g. "Budget:Budget Allocation: BU-YOUNG WOMEN") to the "Budget:Budget Allocation" subcategory, you should not post any expenses to the old sub-categories.

In your example, all new Young Women expenses should come out of "Budget:Young Women".

Thanks~!
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Thank you. I had read that. It said: "If you sum all of your old budget subcategories and the Budget Allocations subcategory, you'll see that they equal zero. You SHOULD NOT use these old budget categories for new expenses" But I didn't extract from that, because it didn't say so in so many words, that the old categories were listed in the Budget:Allocation listing. With you stating that that is what it is, I can see it now in the instructions. Sometime it has to be spelled out twice for me to completely understand.

Thanks again.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

coloradotechie wrote:How exactly do the sub-categories roll-up to the parent categories?
When you receive your new statements, it will only show detail of the CUBS default subcategories. Any sub-subcategories you added beneath them will be summed into the default one.

From your example, your statement will show just Budget:Elders Quorum = $250.

Either option is valid, although option 2 is more explicit, making it easier for someone else to understand what was intended (in the off chance you are released). For that reason, I like option 2 more.
coloradotechie wrote:... my guess is that I would be able to write checks against any of the categories or sub-categories for either of my options above... the monthly report is just going to roll all of the expenses together and give me my final numbers in aggregate for each main category (so a negative balance for EQ1 would be combined with a positive balance for EQ2 and all rolled up nice and neat for reporting).

Am I thinking correctly about all of this?
Yes.
coloradotechie-p40

Thanks for the help and clarification!

Return to “Local Unit Finance”