Can counsellors approve expenses under Bishop's Review tab?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cobba

Can counsellors approve expenses under Bishop's Review tab?

Post by cobba »

Hi All

As a counsellor I get a weekly email advising that states "XX expense(s) that have not been reviewed by the Bishop". When I click the link I can see in LCR under the Bishop's Review tab that they have not been reviewed.

The web page does not allow me to approve them. This page clearly says that the Bishop must approve them: https://www.lds.org/help/support/paying ... s?lang=eng

However what happens if the Bishop is on annual leave? Is there anyone else that can approve them? Do the expenses fail to get paid until the Bishop logs in to approve them?

Thanks in advance.
pcox1217

Re: Can counsellors approve expenses under Bishop's Review tab?

Post by pcox1217 »

Here’s my understanding:

“Approve” is different from “Review”. Expenses are paid once they are “Approved.” They can be “approved” by anyone two people with finance access, as long as one of the two is a member of the Bishopric (Bishop or a counselor). If the Bishop was not one of the two approvers, he must “Review” the transaction to show that he authorized the expense. At the very latest, his approval must be recorded before the next audit. The “Review” step happens after the expense has been paid, and does not block an expense from being paid.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Two authorized leaders must approve each expenditure, and one of them must be a member of the presidency or bishopric.

The president or the bishop must also review each expenditure that has had electronic receipts attached, unless he is one of the initial approvers. This review indicates that those approving the expense have found it to be appropriate and within Church guidelines.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cobba wrote:As a counsellor I get a weekly email advising that states "XX expense(s) that have not been reviewed by the Bishop". When I click the link I can see in LCR under the Bishop's Review tab that they have not been reviewed.

The web page does not allow me to approve them.
Which begs the question: if you're not allowed to review them, why is the system bothering you about them? Or was one of the transactions awaiting your approval?

I could seen notifying you if things are getting too far behind, but not for a routine level of reminder.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:Which begs the question: if you're not allowed to review them, why is the system bothering you about them? Or was one of the transactions awaiting your approval?

I could seen notifying you if things are getting too far behind, but not for a routine level of reminder.
The behavior I see is all the reviewers receive the weekly email (bishopric, clerk, assistant clerk-finance) even though only the bishop can take the action. It is possible there could be other actions listed in the email that would apply to others on the distribution (for digital review of receipts in addition to the Bishop's review) but we have not had any of those so that is speculation on my part.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

It lists the number of items that need to be approved, the number of items that need the bishop's review as well as the number of items approved and reviewed in the previous week and who reviewed or approved them. So, yes, there can be items of interest to other members of the bishopric. It's labeled a 'Weekly Financial Summary' its intent isn't just to notify of needed actions but to also show recent actions.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

Theses are the steps that we follow:

1. Authorize by Bishop.
-Signed reimbursement form.
2. Approved by 2 authorized signers
-One must be Bishop or Counselor.
-Approve expense and verify it is appropriate.
- 2 Signatures on check or 2 authorizations (passwords) on EFT.
3. Reviewed by Bishop.
-Sign expense report. Paper check on MLS
-Bishop Checks off on Bishop's Review on LCR.

Love to here any input?
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

cobba wrote:However what happens if the Bishop is on annual leave?.
Since when do Bishop's get annual leave? How much per year, and how do you get this approved? Asking for a friend... :lol:

Return to “Local Unit Finance”