Electronic reimbursements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davesudweeks

Re: Electronic reimbursements

Post by davesudweeks »

In my limited experience with the new system, it appears an email comes out weekly to all the bishopric members if reimbursements are still awaiting the bishop's final review. If I recall, no email arrives if there are no reimbursements awaiting the bishop's final review.
MurdockM

Re: ACH "Issued" vs "Cleared"

Post by MurdockM »

davesudweeks wrote: ... it appears an email comes out weekly to all the bishopric members if reimbursements are still awaiting the bishop's final review.
Yes, I can confirm this. I (fin clerk) entered another ACH payment w/scanned receipts last Saturday. The first counselor did the 2nd approval on-line. Friday we received the LCR email. It pointed out that there is one expense still waiting for the Bishops review.

I think this particular expense, waiting for review, shows in LCR as "Issued" and "Received by Bank"

Prior ACH payments the Bishop has done the 2nd approval (and simultaneously reviewed) on-line. They show in LCR as "Cleared" and "Received by Bank"

PS: One hard copy thermal printed receipt I was given had some faded spots (finger print oil?). It took quite a bit of fiddling with scanner settings so that the faded digits could be seen in the scan. I eventually had to scan it as a photograph with far from normal brightness and contrast settings.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

murdock20m wrote:PS: One hard copy thermal printed receipt I was given had some faded spots (finger print oil?). It took quite a bit of fiddling with scanner settings so that the faded digits could be seen in the scan. I eventually had to scan it as a photograph with far from normal brightness and contrast settings.
We are asking members to retain their receipt temporarily if they scan and send it via email in case the copy received is not legible and we need to request it again, for what it's worth.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

davesudweeks wrote:
murdock20m wrote:PS: One hard copy thermal printed receipt I was given had some faded spots (finger print oil?). It took quite a bit of fiddling with scanner settings so that the faded digits could be seen in the scan. I eventually had to scan it as a photograph with far from normal brightness and contrast settings.
We are asking members to retain their receipt temporarily if they scan and send it via email in case the copy received is not legible and we need to request it again, for what it's worth.
Good suggestion. How long are you holding onto paper submission of receipts if you digitize it and pay via ACH?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We only have had 1 submitted thus far and it was emailed from the YM President to the Bishop who forwarded it to me with "Approved" in the email subject line. I never received the paper copy of the receipt on that one - but it was clear and legible. We have not scanned any paper copies yet to make them digital - perhaps tomorrow...

I have received "bills" forwarded from the bishop for welfare needs that were such bad quality pics that they would drive an audit exception so I told the bishop we had to have a better/complete copy before we could process the reimbursement. This experience is what got me thinking about requesting members hold on to the receipt until the reimbursement is deposited so if there is any question, we can verify.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

I'm not the one you asked, however because I was given paper, I staple the previously scanned original paper receipts to a page printed from LCR showing the completed ACH report. I expect to keep doing this until our next audit.

I expect to keep those receipts for the standard (USA) 3 Years plus current.

TIP; Only print page one of the ACH status page. If "all" pages are printed there will be several subsequent pages printed with (as I recall) random lines and text scattered all over them.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

murdock20m wrote:I'm not the one you asked, however because I was given paper, I staple the previously scanned original paper receipts to a page printed from LCR showing the completed ACH report. I expect to keep doing this until our next audit.

I expect to keep those receipts for the standard (USA) 3 Years plus current.

TIP; Only print page one of the ACH status page. If "all" pages are printed there will be several subsequent pages printed with (as I recall) random lines and text scattered all over them.
It's interesting to see how others interpret the limited information we have and apply it to the their existing workflows. I anticipate setting a timeline that I shred them -- I don't want to create a paper system to track them if I've already digitized them as if the person submitted them electronically. I want less in my filing cabinet and more tracked on LCR. The auditor won't be asking for them because he'll rely on the digitized version. Maybe I'll keep them in one big folder until the next audit and then shred them (since the digital version is the official version, these wouldn't be subject to the 3 yr + current rule, IMO).

I anticipate very few paper receipts -- probably more fast offering related than reimbursement related. If there are few enough, maybe I do keep them around.... Mm... I'll have to decide when I start to get a feel for the workflow.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

chriswoodut wrote:
murdock20m wrote:...maybe I do keep them around.... Mm... I'll have to decide when I start to get a feel for the workflow.
My records retention is not set in stone. To a more reasonable mind, it does seem that once receipts I have scanned are uploaded the hard copy can be shredded.

Some time ago I read here that the audit procedures had not yet caught up with the new system (a beta user posted). I hope that's no longer an issue because the system is no longer in beta.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chriswoodut wrote:I anticipate setting a timeline that I shred them -- I don't want to create a paper system to track them if I've already digitized them as if the person submitted them electronically. I want less in my filing cabinet and more tracked on LCR.
From what I understand, the current system allows a mix of electronic and paper. There's no requirement to go all one way or another.

One issue with shredding the paper copies - you'd have to be sure that it had been made electronic and wasn't processed as paper. One mistake here, and it seems like an easy one to make, and you've destroyed your only copy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We plan to keep a mix of paper and electronic. If we receive the paper receipts and issue a paper check, there will be a paper copy of everything for the auditor to review. If we receive all electronic, and issue an ACH reimbursement, there will be no paper copy of anything. If we scan paper receipts to make them electronic so we can issue an ACH reimbursement, we plan to keep the paper at least until the next audit provides guidance.

My experience with church auditing is there is huge variation in personal opinion of the "requirements" by certain auditors and very little training by the stake to ensure they are all doing it the same (I have had audits stretch over multiple days and totaling over 8 hours due to auditors thinking their role is to personally inspect every reimbursement issued in the past 6 months and adding requirements that don't exist in any handbook and training document). This is why we are stepping cautiously down this path as we have had no clear direction from the stake and the direction in the instructions is vague. I understand we should not be commanded in all things, but when a rogue auditor is allowed to make life miserable for the wards for years and the stake doesn't respond, it is very frustrating.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”