Entering Expenses on LCR

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
waynecooke

Entering Expenses on LCR

Post by waynecooke »

I am an experienced Financial Clerk, but have been away for a little over a year (long story). I first came upon this 'question' when doing some Expense work on MLS. On the form there was an option for "Electronic ACH Transfers". I found the same 'option' on LCR, Can someone direct me to where I can find out more about them? I looked on this forum, but couldn't find anything, not saying it isn't here, I just couldn't find them (I am married ;) ).

It sounds like a great idea, but I just have to learn all about it. Thanks for your help this time and always.
davesudweeks

Re: Entering Expenses on LCR

Post by davesudweeks »

I have heard it is in beta test in some areas in the USA. I don't know where. Our ward in Oklahoma does not have the option of reimbursing via ACH transfer - we have to reimburse members with paper checks still.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

As davesudweeks said, that's currently in beta test (and has been for almost a year--I have no idea when it will be released generally). If your stake is in the beta program then you will have an Enter Expenses tab under Finance > Expenses in LCR. This tab lets you print checks from LCR and also enter ACH reimbursements. In order to use this option the payee must be a member in a unit on the beta program and must go into the Donations > Settings page on lds.org and setup a reimbursement account (if they want to use the same one as they use for donations then it's only a couple clicks to setup).

I'm not aware of any way of doing a ACH reimbursement in MLS but I haven't actually looked so maybe it's there for those on the beta program as well.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

Thanks a lot. Yes, on our MLS there is an option to either do it by paper check or by ACH transfer. On MLS it tell us what to do step by step, but, I hadn't heard about it, but the beta test comment makes sense. I am going to purchase something for the Ward this week, maybe I will try and do it and see what happens.

:D
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Note that two people with finance rights must approve all ACH reimbursements (just like you need two check signers). In LCR this can be done in two ways: both approvers can be present when the expense is entered and approve it from printed documents or you can scan and upload the supporting documentation in which case the second approver can do their approval at a later time. I find the first way rather inconvenient since I can't do a batch of expenses and then get the bishop to approve them all at once (like I normally do with checks). So I usually scan the documentation for electronic reimbursements.

I expect (but don't know) that MLS probably requires both approvers to be available when entering the expense.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

On Sunday there was an option to do either in MLS. When I logged out, 'patches/updates' downloaded when I tried to log out of MLS. I went in Monday to the church to call Support. When I logged in to get everything ready on the computer for when I talked with them, there were more patches. When I finally got into MLS I was immediately transferred to LCR to write any check (patches up dated the system, I assume). The option for ACH was there. I called and talked with them, and they said, yes, our Stake was part of the beta testing. She walked me through how to do it, but her directions were incorrect, but I figured out how to do it myself. The way for someone to take advantage of it is to go into their "online donation" page, go the 'settings' option and scroll down, and there will be an option to enter your bank info. After they have done that, then when I enter the check info in LCR, it shows that they are set up for ACH deposit, and the form is filled out as if it was a check, and then two appropriate people use their login info, and that is the 'two signitures' for the check.

I am going to go through it with the Bishop, councilors, and Ward Clerk on Sunday so they are familiar with it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

waynecooke wrote:The way for someone to take advantage of it is to go into their "online donation" page, go the 'settings' option and scroll down, and there will be an option to enter your bank info.
Is this in addition to the banking details you may have stored for donations?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Is this in addition to the banking details you may have stored for donations?
It gives you the option of reusing the details already entered for donations. If you decline that option then it will request new details specifically for reimbursements. So you can have different accounts for donations and reimbursements but it's easiest to use the same account.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:It gives you the option of reusing the details already entered for donations.
That makes sense. But either way, you see something that spells out that there's a reimbursement option, right? I don't see anything like that on my account, so I assume we're not part of that beta.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:That makes sense. But either way, you see something that spells out that there's a reimbursement option, right? I don't see anything like that on my account, so I assume we're not part of that beta.
Yes. Right under the Donation Accounts box in Settings there is an Expense Reimbursement Account box.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”