Local Unit Budget Allowance Increase Letter

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bdwood3

Local Unit Budget Allowance Increase Letter

Post by bdwood3 »

The Budget Allowance wiki page (https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Budget_allowance) references this letter: "Official Communications, Local Unit Budget Allowance Increase [Apr. 6, 2004]"

But I'm not able to find a copy of this letter. This forum has what looks like a similar letter for the Europe area that was sent in 2008, but I'm looking for the 2004 letter for North America. Does anyone have a copy that they can share here?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Local Unit Budget Allowance Increase Letter

Post by russellhltn »

The 2004 letter was probably removed as all the important points were incorporated into the 2010 Handbook. I'd suggest checking Handbook 2: 13.2.8, Handbook 1: 14.7, and the Help Center > Finance > Budgets.

In a quick look though the wiki article, I'm unable to see anything that has been outdated or changed. So, I don't think the wiki article is outdated, although the reference is.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bdwood3

Post by bdwood3 »

Thanks. I'm well aware of those Handbook sections, but I'm still interested in seeing the full letter. From the quotes I've seen from it, it looks like it provides some context and intent around the changes, which would be helpful in dispelling some false traditions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bdwood3 wrote:which would be helpful in dispelling some false traditions.
What false traditions are you encountering? We could probably find the verbiage that shows why it's wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bdwood3

Post by bdwood3 »

False Tradition #1: Budget allowance is not an option to pay for summer camps.
False Tradition #2: Summer camps should be fully funded through fundraising, if not then ask participant families to pay the difference.

For me, the handbook is very clear on this and there shouldn't be any question, but culture is very difficult to change. I've referenced the handbook countless times, which is why when I saw this quote from the 2004 letter posted here (https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13721#p13721) I thought it would make a great "second witness":
The increase in the local unit budget allowance is intended to fund activities more effectively and to relieve the financial burden on families. With this increase fund-raising activities should be substantially reduced or eliminated.

Stake presidents should be sensitive to the financial needs of wards and ensure that they have adequate funds to support a broad scope of youth activities such as:
  • Summer camps
  • Boy Scout awards
It would be great to have the official letter available for reference. I think it would carry more weight than "a quote I found on an internet forum."
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I'd say that if the statements under 'Funding Activities' in the Fundraising and Funding Activities help center article are not explicit enough then probably nothing will be. To me it's pretty clear the order is Budget if sufficient, participant pays if budget isn't and fundraising is only a last resort.

And if people can discount or interpret those statements differently then they will probably discount a 14 year old letter as well especially if the church doesn't have it in the official letter repository.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The handbook adequately addresses both traditions you have noted.
bdwood3 wrote:False Tradition #1: Budget allowance is not an option to pay for summer camps.
False Tradition #2: Summer camps should be fully funded through fundraising, if not then ask participant families to pay the difference.
Both of these are addressed in Handbook 2, 13.2.8, Funding For Activities. This reference addresses funding for all activities are to come from the ward budget. However, note in paragraph 3 it is recognized the ward budget may not be sufficient to cover the costs of one annual camp for Scouts, young women camp, and the day camp for primary children. In this case an exception to the ward budget being the only source for funding activities is permitted. When the ward budget is insufficient to fund these camps then the handbook states "leaders may ask participants to pay for part or all of them." As a last resort the handbook states "If funds from participants are not sufficient, the bishop may authorize one group fund-raising activity annually that complies with the guidelines in 13.6.8". So the order for funding summer camps is 1) ward budget, 2) participants pay, 3) fund-raising.

It appears the funding traditions for funding summer camps in your ward are in the reverse order of funding identified in Handbook 2, 13.2.8 & 13.6.8. The 2004 letter was superseded by the 2010 Handbook revision. The paper copies of the handbook may be out of date. Letters changing the handbook are quickly incorporated into the online handbook now. The official source for the handbooks are the online versions which are kept up to date as changes are made.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the underlying problem is that the members like the fundraiser and the bonding experience it provides. They don't want to let go of that.

Perhaps, what needs to be done is to replace the fundraiser with a service project.

bdwood3

Post by bdwood3 »

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate your help.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new youth programs will be like. I'm hoping that in that transition we'll be able to reset some expectations and do away with some traditions.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I completely understand why you're looking for, it continually amazes me the suspension of all 'sense' when many leaders read the handbook. See's they'll say, it doesn't explicitly say that we can't do X or X. Even though the correct course of action is laid out clearly in the handbook, leaders will say, 'it's up for interpretation' And I want to throw up in my mouth with how some people want to just see whatever they already decided is right.

As an example of this thinking. I remember being assessed $75.00 for each of my girls to attend our Ward YW Camp. I remarked to the YW President after I informed her I had paid directly to the Bishop in a slip rather than delivering a check to her, that I was surprised that they already knew how much we needed to contribute because the Fund Raiser for the YW Camp was still 1 month away. She looked at me like I was from outer-space. I literally had to walk her through how completely insane an idea of assessing someone before the fundraiser took place. She really didn't 'get it' because they'd always done it that way. Because I'm tired of trying to understand people I've stopped bugging them about it. But it sure would be nice if people cared to understand how funding in the church actually works.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Local Unit Finance”