How does one change a donation amount mistake

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thayneharmon

How does one change a donation amount mistake

Post by thayneharmon »

A member made a mistake in their donation amount to tithing (extra zero). As Ward clerk how would I cancel this donation? It has already been withdrawn from the members account.
eblood66

Re: How does one change a donation amount mistake

Post by eblood66 »

You can't cancel it. If they had caught the error while the transaction was still pending they could have cancelled it in the donation site. But now you'll need to contact the global service center, explain the situation and they will give you instructions. Unless the process has changed they will give you an email address and you will have the member write an explanation of what happened and send it to the bishop who will forward it to the email you were given with his own note indicating that he believes he donation was done in error and that it would be a hardship if it is not reversed. If the request is approved then they will return the entire amount and the member will need to make a new donation in the correct amount. When I had someone go through the process it took about a week but there is no guarantee about that.
thayneharmon

Post by thayneharmon »

Thanks for your reply. Yes, you are correct, that is exactly what I discovered when I contacted the finance department. They did not indicate that the member needed to go through the Bishop. However, if that is what is needed then I am sure that the instructions will be given the member through the e-mail contact that was given me and I passed on to the member.
willeewon

Post by willeewon »

I typed in the wrong amount on my tithing donation slip should have been 800.00 and I put 8000.00
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know as you can change it. You may have to cancel it instead.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

If the donations still says 'Pending' then you should be able to cancel it on the website. Otherwise please contact your ward clerk and ask them to contact the global service center for instructions on how to proceed.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”