Unit Financial Statement Ward Mission Summary Problem

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
cahoca

Unit Financial Statement Ward Mission Summary Problem

Post by cahoca »

On our Unit Financial Statement under Ward Missionary Summary, I have what I believe is a negative balance from previous parent contibutions (545.00 ) that I would like to zero out. This missionary moved but we still have this amount listed under Beginning Blance which causes negative ending balance. We have already transferred these funds to the new ward that now have this responsibility, by the transfer system. How do I clear this entry off our financial statement?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Unit Financial Statement Ward Mission Summary Problem

Post by lajackson »

cahoca wrote:How do I clear this entry off our financial statement?
It sounds as if you will need to transfer $45 from the Ward Missionary Account to the specific sub-account with the negative balance, bringing the sub-account to zero. The sub-account should then go away, usually after one of the next two statements.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Unit Financial Statement Ward Mission Summary Problem

Post by russellhltn »

Well, this is confusing. First, I don't think you can have a negative contribution from a donation. More likely, the family missed a payment or started donating to the new ward and the effective date of the transfer wasn't set right.

Next, you say "We have already transferred these funds to the new ward that now have this responsibility". Be aware that responsibility doesn't move just because the membership records moved. Someone has to contact church headquarters to do the financial transfer. Until that transfer is done, the church will continue to withdraw from your account (causing a negative balance), even if the family is donating to their new ward. If that's what's happening, you need to contact CHQ and get that fixed. In doing that, you can change the effective transfer date so the debt gets moved to the new ward.

Bottom line, there's two ways to fix a negative balance: Either you transfer funds from the top-level ward missionary account (if you have enough to cover it), or you contact CHQ to change the effective date of the transfer.

If if fact you have a positive amount, I'd contact CHQ to change the effective date of the transfer so at least the bulk of those funds are sent to the new ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”