Tithing from Missionaries

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mhearne

Tithing from Missionaries

Post by mhearne »

I am a new finance clerk. This may have been asked and answered in prior posts, but I don't see it So bear with me. Today we received a donation for tithing/fast offerings from a Missionary serving in our Ward. Apparently, our ward had set up a donor account titled "Missionaries" and has been recording all donations received from the Missionaries serving in the Ward to this account. Is the more correct way to handle this is to create a member account in name of the Missionary in MLS and show donations there? What happens at year-end for tithing settlement?
klricks

Re: Tithing from Missionaries

Post by klricks »

mhearne wrote:I am a new finance clerk. This may have been asked and answered in prior posts, but I don't see it So bear with me. Today we received a donation for tithing/fast offerings from a Missionary serving in our Ward. Apparently, our ward had set up a donor account titled "Missionaries" and has been recording all donations received from the Missionaries serving in the Ward to this account. Is the more correct way to handle this is to create a member account in name of the Missionary in MLS and show donations there? What happens at year-end for tithing settlement?
I add donor name for out of unit donation. Be sure to enter the donors MRN if they give it. Don't worry about tithing settlement unless the person contacts you and asks about it.
Assistant Ward Clerk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mhearne wrote:Is the more correct way to handle this is to create a member account in name of the Missionary in MLS and show donations there?
Yes. But I'm not sure what's requried if you say they're a member. It would like the MRN, but the missionary may not provide it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Yes. But I'm not sure what's requried if you say they're a member. It would like the MRN, but the missionary may not provide it.
An out-of-unit member donor record has places to enter the MRN and address but neither is required. So enter what they provide. If they don't provide an address or MRN and want a year-end statement they will need to contact you. But generally missionaries only pay fast offerings in the ward they are serving so the amounts aren't enough for them to worry about.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Normally, missionaries should not pay tithing to the ward where they're serving – only fast offerings. From the Missionary Handbook:
Tithing and Fast Offerings
You are not expected to pay tithing on funds you receive for your mission. You should pay tithing through your home ward on any other income. Contribute fast offerings each fast Sunday in the ward where you serve.
For donations that your ward does receive, I don't know if it's required to put the membership record number (it is recommended if possible), but each individual should have their own donor record regardless.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”