Reimbursment/payment - welfare situation

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kurtf

Reimbursment/payment - welfare situation

Post by kurtf »

Is it possible to reimburse a mortgage payment directly to the individual or does it need to be paid the mortgage company directly? He pays it directly online, but I don't think the church has a way to pay it directly w/o check? I think generally for welfare payments, we've always paid the company/utility directly.

Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reimbursment/payment - welfare situation

Post by russellhltn »

Others would know better, but in those situations, I think the church suggests funding other things (like food) to free up money for the mortgage.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Handbook 1 section 5.2.4 is your guide here.

Personally, I'd suggest looking for ways of paying other things first (as russellhltn suggests) and checking and making sure there is no way to pay by check (usually there is a way even if that isn't how the member usually pays). If there is no other way then I'd get more documentation than usual for a mortgage payment. I'd try to get documentation showing the payment was actually made (not just that it was due or required) and I'd add a note (signed by the bishop) describing the situation. I might even make sure the stake is aware of the situation before hand so that if any questions come up during the audit, the situation isn't a surprise to the stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Handbook 1 section 5.2.4 is your guide here.
I think there's some other resources from the stake as well. I think the concern I have is how likely is this to come up again? Is this a one-time thing, or did the family overextend themselves and are now unable to cope with "normal" emergencies?

A general guideline is that welfare is to "sustain life, not lifestyle". A mortgage payment is or can quickly become the latter category. Also see item #5 in the Handbook about "consumer debt".

I agree that getting the stake involved would be wise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”