Financial Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
embleyj

Financial Records

Post by embleyj »

I know that the LDS Church is considered non-profit, so as far as keeping and storing financial records go, how many years must they be kept?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Financial Records

Post by russellhltn »

It depends on the country. For the US, it's 3 years plus current. As as of the date of this post, anything 2014 or earlier can be securely disposed of.

I'm not seeing a resource that explains the retention period for other countries.

That "securely" part can be an issue. Simply throwing them away is not acceptable, and the office shredder is usually not up task of taking on a full year of donations and expenses.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Re: Financial Records

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:That "securely" part can be an issue. Simply throwing them away is not acceptable, and the office shredder is usually not up task of taking on a full year of donations and expenses.
FWIW, we have used 2 methods:
1. A counselor (since released) had a burn barrel in his back yard. We would take the records there and have a burn party...
2. Now we use the office shredder - it is old and slow but built like a tank (I'll probably die before it does, LOL). It works well, but does take time (we usually divide the shred sessions up and shred a couple of months-worth at a time over several weeks).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”