Lost check for last year's expenses; any way to not pull from this year's budget?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joshuajohnwallace

Lost check for last year's expenses; any way to not pull from this year's budget?

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

A reimbursement check issued last year, funded from the ward budget, has been lost. It's simple enough to cancel that check and issue a replacement, but I wonder if it's possible to still draw the funds for the replacement check from last year's budget and how to do so?
davesudweeks

Re: Lost check for last year's expenses; any way to not pull from this year's budget?

Post by davesudweeks »

You might try calling the Global Service Center, but I think you will have to issue on this year's budget. That said, the amount allocated last year for the check was never consumed so once you void the check it should come back into your budget.
joshuajohnwallace

Re: Lost check for last year's expenses; any way to not pull from this year's budget?

Post by joshuajohnwallace »

davesudweeks wrote:That said, the amount allocated last year for the check was never consumed so once you void the check it should come back into your budget.
The money would be there, yes, but it won't increase this year's budget allocation I expect.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

joshuajohnwallace wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:That said, the amount allocated last year for the check was never consumed so once you void the check it should come back into your budget.
The money would be there, yes, but it won't increase this year's budget allocation I expect.
Correct, as I understand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be curious about what happens when the old check is canceled. Does it delete the original transaction, or does it make a reversing transaction (which is likely to be posted this year). The latter may have the effect of "adding money" to the budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We will find out soon - today we canceled 2 checks issued last November.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”