Non-member tithing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jdorociak

Non-member tithing

Post by jdorociak »

One of our non-member friends has not joined the Church yet but she wants to pay Tithing.
Without a membership number can she pay tithing?
eblood66

Re: Non-member tithing

Post by eblood66 »

Certainly. A membership number is never required to donate. The membership number just helps tie donations together when a member donates in more than one unit.

When adding her donor record just mark that she isn't a member and proceed as normal. However, at the end of the year you may need to manually print the tax statement manually because I'm not sure it will be included in the pre-generated version.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eblood66 wrote:However, at the end of the year you may need to manually print the tax statement manually because I'm not sure it will be included in the pre-generated version.
Because it's not tied to a membership record, it won't be tied to a ward – the clerk won't see it – so the person will need to print their own statement.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:
eblood66 wrote:However, at the end of the year you may need to manually print the tax statement manually because I'm not sure it will be included in the pre-generated version.
Because it's not tied to a membership record, it won't be tied to a ward – the clerk won't see it – so the person will need to print their own statement.
If they donate in-person, there will be no way to link their donation to the on-line account. The only way they can print their own statement is if they donate on-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Oops, I forgot that people can still donate with paper donation slips. :)

So, if they donate online, only they can see their donations, and they can print their own end-of-year statement.

If they donate with a paper donation slip, the bishopric/clerk can see their donations and print the end-of-the-year statement, but the person donating won't be able to see their donations online.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jimliddle

Post by jimliddle »

I have a non-member account. When I go to Donations I get a pop-up that says:

Welcome to Online Donations
This application requires a valid membership number. Please click the link below to go to your LDS account and view your membership number.

Of course I don't have a membership number. How do I do an online donation?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Online donations without a membership number is not currently possible. Donations can be make to any church unit is possible using the paper donation slip.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”