W-9 request for scout fundraiser

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brianwren

W-9 request for scout fundraiser

Post by brianwren »

Like many scout troops, our ward's troop does a flag fundraiser every year. This year a local HOA wants our troop to install flags at the neighborhood's entrances but is requesting a W-9 before they will pay the scouts for the service. Can anyone point me to whether a W-9 is appropriate, and if so, where to obtain one?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: W-9 request for scout fundraiser

Post by russellhltn »

The W-9 can be found on the irs.gov site. The main piece of information you're going to need is the Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN). I'm not sure if that would be coming from the church our the scouts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The question came up previously in this thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7772

Unfortunately, there was not any definite resolution. The best recommendation was to contact the Tax Administration Department at CHQ for guidance.
brianwren

Post by brianwren »

Update: I called CHQ and spoke to a kind sister in the Tax dept. She provided the scenario-specific info that was to be used when populating the W-9. (A blank W-9 form is available at irs.gov)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”