Purchase from unit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
richardkordanderson

Purchase from unit

Post by richardkordanderson »

Hello! Our ward RS purchased a serger to use for a specific humanitarian activity. After using it, they decided that they would no longer require its use. One of the sisters in the ward would like to purchase it from the ward. Does this comply with policy and how would I go about processing it? Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Purchase from unit

Post by russellhltn »

Darn good question. I'm not sure as there's any policy on this one. Personally, while I'm not entirely comfortable with it, it may be Ok as long as the purchase price goes back into the same account (budget, other, etc) that was used to purchase the machine in the first place. Otherwise, it feels too much like money laundering.

Assuming it was purchased with budget funds, you could process it like the return of an advance. That is, the "donation" would be placed in the budget category. Be sure to run this (including the price) past the bishop as one of my concerns would be the appearance of selling it at too cheap a price as a personal favor at the ward's expense.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”