Sunday banking of tithing donations

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jamesporteous

Sunday banking of tithing donations

Post by jamesporteous »

Hi
The Bishop of [removed] has informed me that this Sunday because of [removed] bank closures there is no banking facility to deposit funds in overnight safe in [removed] nearest [removed] is in [removed] some 20 miles from the ward building. This could mean Bishop having to take funds home to go to nearest bank on Monday and make deposit,not good. Something needs to happen to avoid this happening and becoming an inconvenience, this may well be happening in other units following the banks notice of closures. What can you advise.

[removed]
Last edited by russellhltn on Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed identifying information since this involves funds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sunday banking of tithing donations

Post by russellhltn »

Since we're talking about how you may handle funds this Sunday, I've removed identifying information from your post. This is a public forum and we don't want to tip off any bad guys what bishop might have funds lying around his house.

In answer to your question, I'd call Local Unit Support and see what they advise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sunday banking of tithing donations

Post by lajackson »

jamesporteous wrote:The Bishop has informed me that this Sunday there is no banking facility to deposit funds.
There are a number of units that do not have access to a bank on Sunday, and there are standard procedures for them to follow. Those procedures are no longer online. The instructions now say that if a bank depository is not available, the bishopric member and clerk should follow the deposit instructions they receive from the area controller.

Since this appears to be a special case and not the norm, I would suggest that the bishop contact the chairman of the audit committee (a member of the stake presidency) for instructions. If the audit committee chairman does not know what to do, he can contact the area assistant auditor who should be able to give him instructions.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”