Donor Type

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
joedestructo

Donor Type

Post by joedestructo »

How do I change a donor type from "nonmember" to "member of another unit"?
berg4680

Re: Donor Type

Post by berg4680 »

When entering tithing into MLS for a specific person, the first time they give an offering they are reported as a member, nonmember, or member of another unit. For tithing that has already been paid, I am pretty sure you cannot change the status of that person from "nonmember" to "member of another unit", since the Church already would have received that permanent record. What needs to be done is when that person offers a donation in the future, instead of searching the name, click on the button saying "add new person" or whatever it says (can't remember exactly) and then select "member of another unit". I believe that should work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you edit the donor record, I think there's a way to add a membership record number and/or merge a member account with a nonmember account.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:If you edit the donor record, I think there's a way to add a membership record number and/or merge a member account with a nonmember account.
I'm not sure whether you can edit from non-member to member but it's worth a try. If that doesn't work then create a member record and then merge the non-member record into the member record. That will reassign all donations to the new record. You can merge records in MLS (Finance > Add/Update Donors from the menu and then use the Merge button) or in LCR (Finance > Participants from the menu and then find the non-member record to merge).

Return to “Local Unit Finance”