Can Finance Clerk access tithing declaration in LCR?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
stuartsampson

Re: Can Finance Clerk access tithing declaration in LCR?

Post by stuartsampson »

So is there a way to set a counsellor as an acting branch leader?
The counsellor got the clerk to assist him but for future reference it would be good to know.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

stuartsampson wrote:So is there a way to set a counsellor as an acting branch leader?
The counsellor got the clerk to assist him but for future reference it would be good to know.
According to this (admittedly old) wiki page (http://tech.lds.org/wiki/CDOL_Frequentl ... _Questions) the calling of "Acting Branch Leader" is intended for full-time missionaries who are called to serve as the branch president. So I'm not sure that is a possible solution (although you could check with your mission or stake president).

But I think the normal way of handling that is just like you did. The clerk is available and has the necessary access. He could simply print the declaration list at the beginning of the process, the counselor can mark it as he goes and the clerk can input it the results after tithing settlement is complete. That's how we did it when we had to use MLS and it's really not that much more work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stuartsampson wrote:So is there a way to set a counsellor as an acting branch leader?
Since it would be the district/stake that sets the branch leader, I'd assume it's the district/stake that sets acting branch leader as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:Since it would be the district/stake that sets the branch leader, I'd assume it's the district/stake that sets acting branch leader as well.
This is not an assignment that can be entered by a stake or district. The change would need to be made by Church headquarters.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Thanks for the correction. No doubt, someone would have to explain to CHQ what's going on and why it's needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

russellhltn wrote:
stuartsampson wrote:Branch counsellors also need access to the declarations. Right now I have a branch president who is in hospital following surgery and I have his counsellor doing the tithing settlement but he can't access the declarations he has to wait for the branch clerk!
Sounds like a "acting branch leader" to me. In general, branch councillors don't need access.
When I was a bishop, I had a financial clerk who thought he was being efficient by submitting the tithing report himself (this is from the older days when there was only MLS). Needless to say, I wasn't particularly happy with that, and had to correct things which he couldn't have known -- I had to keep the tally sheet where folks had declared full/part/etc., whereas he kind of made wild guesses. I prefer the fine-grained approach that LCR enforces.

It is evident to me that a great deal of thought (and experience) has gone into these allocations of permissions. During MLS audits, we found that the permissions available to individuals with callings were often quite surprising and overly generous when discovered. There can be headaches with the new way (stake folk can't record callings at the ward level to allow the permissions) when there's a bottleneck like an incapacitated branch president (or bishop). The report can also be delayed -- have your stake report to your AA 70 as to why it's delayed.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”