Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
skanger

Re: Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Post by skanger »

Hello,
I have a question regarding this rental agreement.
Our bishop asked to cut a check for rental assistance but the rental agreement does not indicate the member's name. However, the member's child name is written on the document. Is this a valid (qualified) document to support the assistance although this child is not a member of the Church? The child is over 18 years old by the way.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Requirement for Copy of Rental Aggreemnet

Post by jdlessley »

Who is financially responsible for paying the rent? I suspect the member is not since his/her name is not on the rental agreement. The financial assistance should only be made on behalf of the person responsible for paying the rent. Fast offering assistance can be used to support nonmembers at the bishop's discretion. In this case I would consult with the bishop to see if he really wants the assistance to be on behalf of the nonmember child. If he does, then cut the check to the rental agency for the member's adult child. Cutting the check with the member listed as the fast offering recipient would not be appropriate since the member is not responsible for the rent. This would be a red flag during an audit since the member's name would not be on the rental agreement.

In the process of cutting the check for a nonmember you will be prompted for the fast offering recipient. MLS will ask if the FO recipient is a member of the ward. Select No. At this point a financial record for the nonmember fast offering recipient must be created, if not previously created during a prior financial disbursement.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”