Best Fundraising Ideas

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wchapman

Re: Best Fundraising Ideas

Post by wchapman »

Is anyone aware of a free online database to track these fundraisers? Our bishop/stake president have approved the above referenced flag fundraiser and I was recently called to be the Scout committee chair. I'm not asking whether you agree with the decisions of the bishop/stake president, just whether you are aware of a free online database that will help track the sales and installation/takedown of flags.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not that I've heard of. That's very specific. I'd suggest using something like Google Docs spreadsheet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

Lawn aeration. Rental Stores will give a discount in most cases for scouts. We get them for free since a member owns the rental company. Charge $40 for most lawns. Scouts raised almost $1700 dollars. YM selling lasagna for $25 each. Not sure what they raised, but it was enough to cove girls camp.
donasp

Post by donasp »

Sales of items including food and auctions are taxable... against counsel and if you are not paying the tax illegal.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

donasp wrote:...and if you are not paying the tax illegal.
This does not hold true for every state. Each unit is responsible for abiding by the laws in which they reside.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Food isn't always taxable. But I'd be concerned that there would be a legal requirement that it be prepared in a commercial kitchen. I don't think church kitchens rise to that standard - which is why they're only for demonstrations and "warming".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Christine.Burgess

Post by Christine.Burgess »

One of my favorite fundraisers was selling parking at the stake center parking lot, across from the football stadium. Raised $4-6k each year. Requires approval.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Christine.Burgess wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:46 am selling parking at the stake center parking lot, across from the football stadium.
That strikes me as iffy. General Handbook 20.6.5 prohibits fundraising that would be taxable.

It also seems questionable given sections 35.5.2.1 and 35.5.2.3.

If it were me, I'd want to make sure FM is OK with it and that an appropriate legal council has determined it's not taxable by local laws.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”