Use of budget funds

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: Use of budget funds

Post by Gary_Miller »

russellhltn wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
russellhltn wrote:It does say 'should', so it's not mandatory. But still....
I do not buy in to the belief that the use of the word should was used in order to allow options. Instead I believe the use of the word was "used in auxiliary function to express a request in a polite manner or to soften direct statement". Websters collegiate Dictionary 11th edition.
Well, to quote later on in the same section: "When a Church activity for youth involves travel outside the local vicinity or staying overnight, parents should give written permission for their children to participate (see 13.6.13). Responsible adult supervision must be provided (see 13.6.2)."

Here we have a mix of "should" and "must". I do see a significant distinction between the two words. "Should" allows for some leeway while "must" does not. I would agree that the exception for "should" needs to be a unique situation and not simply "because we want to". A possible example might be to visit the dedication of a temple. Those are fairly rare events. What might seem to be excessive travel in Utah might be routine in the mid-west where temple areas cover multiple states.
The problem is that 13.6.2 gives more clarity and does not use the word "must" but instead uses the word "should".

"HB2 13.6.2 Adult Supervision

Supervision by an adequate number of responsible adults should be provided for activities for children, youth, and young single adults. The number of adults needed is determined by the size of the group, the skill level of the group (for activities requiring certain skills), anticipated environmental conditions, and the overall degree of challenge of the activity. Parents should be encouraged to help."

And 13.6.13 also uses more clarity and uses the wording "Written consent is necessary" instead of "should".

"HB2 13.6.13 Parental Permission

Parents or guardians should be informed and give consent when youth participate in a Church activity. Written consent is necessary if an activity involves travel outside the local area (as determined by local leaders) or staying overnight. Leaders may also request written consent for other activities when they feel it is appropriate.

Parents and guardians give this consent by signing the Parental or Guardian Permission and Medical Release form. The person who leads the activity should have a signed form for each participant for each activity that requires written consent."
TinMan

Re: Use of budget funds

Post by TinMan »

russellhltn wrote: In the case I cited, it might be the "written" part. What do you do if a youth shows up for the activity but forgot the paper? Can you call the parent and get a verbal or do you leave them behind as the bus pulls away? (Let's assume there's a reason beyond the child's control that the paper is being collected so late.)
I'm not a lawyer, but my guess is if you don't have written consent and something happens to their child on the bus trip, verbal isn't going to cut it. The answer is you make certain you have written consent weeks before the activity.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”