Paying tithing with stocks ?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rknelson

Re: Paying tithing with stocks ?

Post by rknelson »

Tithing will not show in the local unit, but amounts contributed to Fast Offerings do show in the unit. Regarding Tithing, personally I never want my Judge in Israel to be left with a question in his mind. I have copied the Bishop on the email to donations in kind to keep him informed. (When sitting on the other side of the table, I have had a member state tithing status that was not truthful with claims of contributing donations in kind.)
AArnott

Post by AArnott »

As of this morning, cryptocurrencies are not acceptable in-kind donations. I just got this back from donationsinkind@ldschurch.org:
These methods of donating have been discussed and reviewed. Currently, bitcoin or Ethereum are not approved methods for making donations to the church so we are unable to accept it.
FidelityCharitable.org does accept a few of them however, and I have already paid tithing for years by transferring long-term held, appreciated stocks into my donor-advised fund then writing a grant recommendation to the Church from there (which just sends a USD check). I haven't contributed crypto to FC before but I'm in the process of doing so.
allenblatter

Post by allenblatter »

Did you complete your Bitcoin donation?
AArnott

Post by AArnott »

allenblatter wrote:Did you complete your Bitcoin donation?
Yes. Fidelity Charitable accepted by bitcoin donation and I was able to then "recommend a grant" from my Fidelity fund to the Church as tithing in terms of the USD that came from Fidelity Charitable's liquidating of the BTC.
While FC doesn't guarantee how quickly after a contribution BTC will be sold, for me it was within minutes. This was providential because it was just before BTC started tanking so I was able to get nearly the maximum USD for it, which then went on to the Church.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”