Is donation to scout camp tax deductible?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Re: Is donation to scout camp tax deductible?

Post by Gary_Miller »

mhearne wrote:(in practice for these activities the Ward Budget itself is almost never sufficient due to cost of camps)
I have to disagree with this statement. As a long time youth leader and a Ward Financial Clerk who has seen the total cost of camps paid for out of the Ward Budget along with funding of all other activities in the ward it can be done.

The problem arises when the activity funding guidelines are not followed at all levels of the stake, thus causing funds that should be at the ward level to be diverted to other well meaning activities at the stake level. Which while fall with in the letter of funding policy fall without the principles and spirit of funding guidelines. Activities such as stake funded Aaronic priesthood camps, Youth Conferences where there is expensive long distance travel, and other activities that are required to use budget allowance funds. Which decrease the funds available of Scout and YW camps, and cause wards to have to revert to participant costs and fund raisers. All because the funds were diverted to stake activities.

Once again a exhort all leaders at every level to review the training provided by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve on the budget allowance. It can be found in the May 1990 Ensign Magazine. This will give you a much more appreciative view of the principles behind the budget allowance.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Gary_Miller wrote:
mhearne wrote:(in practice for these activities the Ward Budget itself is almost never sufficient due to cost of camps)
I have to disagree with this statement. As a long time youth leader and a Ward Financial Clerk who has seen the total cost of camps paid for out of the Ward Budget along with funding of all other activities in the ward it can be done.
Really!? The cost for summer camps in our area exceeds 71% of the entire ward annual budget for just the young men. The cost for all summer camps (YM, YW, and Cub Scout day camp) is 114% of the ward budget.

If our ward retained 100% of the budget allowance then we could fund 100% of the cost of summer camps for YM, YW, and Cub Scouts - barely. That leaves nothing for stake operations.

I have never been in a stake where wards have been able to fund 100% of the cost of summer camps.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Which opens the question to what is an appropriate level of camp activity. I've observed with events in general that left on their own, they will always have to be grander than the year before. Which means they grow in cost until they hit a funding limit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

jdlessley wrote:Really!? The cost for summer camps in our area exceeds 71% of the entire ward annual budget for just the young men. The cost for all summer camps (YM, YW, and Cub Scout day camp) is 114% of the ward budget.

If our ward retained 100% of the budget allowance then we could fund 100% of the cost of summer camps for YM, YW, and Cub Scouts - barely. That leaves nothing for stake operations.

I have never been in a stake where wards have been able to fund 100% of the cost of summer camps.
In our stake we are able to fund 100% of scout camp, high adventure, YW camp, Trek (every 4th year), cub scout day camp, youth conference, etc. out of budget funds (with a $40 contribution from each participant, except for youth conference). We strictly adhere to the principle that members cannot kick in a little extra without a reimbursement. We have never approved a fundraiser (except for Friends of Scouting drives). Our stake returns about $10,000 in unused budget funds to church headquarters every year. In the last 6 years, I have never heard a ward complain about not having enough budget funds. Granted each stake is different, but when I hear about wards in other stakes not being able to cover expenses, I just have to wonder about the scope of their activities.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mlh78 wrote:Our stake returns about $10,000 in unused budget funds to church headquarters every year.
Why the $40 contribution from each participant? And please don't tell me its for participant buy in.

If you stake has this much left over it would seem to me the "$40 contribution from each participant" would be outside the Budget allowance guidelines.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jdlessley wrote:
Gary_Miller wrote:
Really!? The cost for summer camps in our area exceeds 71% of the entire ward annual budget for just the young men. The cost for all summer camps (YM, YW, and Cub Scout day camp) is 114% of the ward budget.

I think if there was a n honest financial analyses of where the money was truly going you would find out other wise. I think you would find many areas where funds are spent that are outside budget guidelines or is a unnecessary expense or funds are used because it was a tradition. Things like purchasing food for funerals or that stake activity which cost more than need be in order to achieve the desired results. I guarantee there is always something that can be cut.

For example in my stake if our ward only had half of the money the stake held back we could have funded all the YM and YW camps out of the budget. I know this because the amount earned doing fund raisers equaled the amount held by the stake. I can also pin point several stake activities where money is spent that could be decreased or completely eliminated due to traditions that were in place before the budget allowance,
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Gary_Miller wrote:
mlh78 wrote:Our stake returns about $10,000 in unused budget funds to church headquarters every year.
Why the $40 contribution from each participant? And please don't tell me its for participant buy in.

If you stake has this much left over it would seem to me the "$40 contribution from each participant" would be outside the Budget allowance guidelines.
It is for participant buy in. Just kidding. It is a little more complicated why we have ended up with a surplus the last few years. The point is, if a ward or stake can't operate within the budget, I think a hard review of the principles and policies behind the activities is in order.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mlh78 wrote:The point is, if a ward or stake can't operate within the budget, I think a hard review of the principles and policies behind the activities is in order.
Hands clapping, jumping up and down shouting; YES, YES, YES, FINALLY SOMEONE WHO SEES THE LIGHT.

I could not agree with you more. Which is why I have exhorted everyone to go and review the Training held when the guidelines first came out. The information in that training is just as relevant today as it was then.
mhearne

Post by mhearne »

russellhltn wrote:In our stake we are able to fund 100% of scout camp, high adventure, YW camp, Trek (every 4th year), cub scout day camp, youth conference, etc. out of budget funds (with a $40 contribution from each participant, except for youth conference). We strictly adhere to the principle that members cannot kick in a little extra without a reimbursement. We have never approved a fundraiser (except for Friends of Scouting drives).
It would be helpful to understand some background. How many YM/YW on average attend scout camp and YW camp each year and what is cost per youth for each? Out stake charges $250 for Girls Camp and Scout Camp is from $275-$375 per youth depending on year.
Gary_Miller wrote:really!? The cost for summer camps in our area exceeds 71% of the entire ward annual budget for just the young men. The cost for all summer camps (YM, YW, and Cub Scout day camp) is 114% of the ward budget.
Our Ward is in this situation where Girls Camp and Scout Camp would almost equal the entire yearly Ward budget. I would like to understand if it is the cost per attendee that is issue for our Ward (which for Girls camp is 100% driven by Stake) or maybe it is because our Ward is small but has fair amount of youth.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mhearne wrote:
russellhltn wrote:...
Gary_Miller wrote:...
Just as a side note, the attributions are incorrect. It was mlh78 and jdlessley that posted those items listed in the quote backs.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”