"Budget Allocations" Sub-category (Finance Clerk)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dtolman2003

"Budget Allocations" Sub-category (Finance Clerk)

Post by dtolman2003 »

It has been my understanding that the "Budget Allocations" sub-category was a placeholder that was used during the CUBS translation. So, now that that activity is long past, what are you all doing with this sub-category?? I'm currently just leaving it alone, but I'm wondering what, if anything, can/should be done with it. I have turned all the sub-sub categories to IA, but they will not delete.

Thoughts??
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

"Budget Allocations" is still the category that your quarterly allocations show up in. For stakes that may issue checks to wards as part of their strategy for making budget allocations, those checks would be deposited into "Budget Allocations." So that subcategory still has purposes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dtolman2003 wrote: I have turned all the sub-sub categories to IA, but they will not delete.
Unit budget subcategories with a red x are default categories and cannot be renamed or inactivated. Unit budget subcategories with a green dot cannot be deleted or inactivated if they have references to an expense, transfer, donation, or assigned budget.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rwoodmansee

Processing Donations into Budget

Post by rwoodmansee »

It was my understanding that checks received that need to be put into the Budget categories should be put into Budget Allocations and not into other standard or sub-categories. What are the implications of coding the check into a budget sub-category?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RWoodmansee wrote:It was my understanding that checks received that need to be put into the Budget categories should be put into Budget Allocations and not into other standard or sub-categories. What are the implications of coding the check into a budget sub-category?
I'm not clear on what you mean by "checks received" when your post title is "Processing Donations into Budget." There are basically two kinds of allowable checks being deposited into Budget:
  • a check (typically from the stake) that is actually part of the budget allocation for the ward. This may happen because the stake uses an allocation formula that can't be done with the percentages used for automatic allocations, or it could be necessary when unit reorganization changes the number of units in the stake or another similar mass change in membership
  • a reimbursement from a member or another unit. This could be a return of excess funds from an advance, or a partial refund of an overpayment to a member, or funds from another unit (e.g., two wards share a cub pack, but one of the wards pays for the expenses and is reimbursed for half by the other unit)
In the first case, the check should be deposited into Budget Allocations. In the second case, the check should be deposited into the appropriate subcategory of Budget. And of course, actual donations into Budget are not allowed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”