Budget roll-overs and importance of deadlines

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:By the way, I would recommend that you discard any policies from 1995 and focus on the current Handbook. The general guideline you mentioned is still in Handbook 1, Section 14.7.2, so your point is certainly backed up by current policy.
I only quoted from the 1995 policies in order to show that the current guidelines in Handbook 1 has not changed from the beginning of the budget allowance program. I did this because it seems that some individuals feel since the surplus is not automatically pulled and the MLS now shows a carryover that its OK to hold funds back even if there is no "Specific planned activities or checks waiting to be cleared.

I only focus on the current Handbooks and guidelines, I just happened to have a copy of the 1995 policies stuffed in the back of old organizer that I no longer use but keep around because of the information I have in it.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

aebrown wrote:By the way, I would recommend that you discard any policies from 1995 and focus on the current Handbook. The general guideline you mentioned is still in Handbook 1, Section 14.7.2, so your point is certainly backed up by current policy.
I only quoted from the 1995 policies in order to show that the current guidelines in Handbook 1 has not changed from the beginning of the budget allowance program. I did this because it seems that some individuals feel since the surplus is not automatically pulled and the MLS now shows a carryover that its OK to hold funds back even if there is no "Specific planned activities or checks waiting to be cleared.

I only focus on the current Handbook, I just happened to have a copy of the 1995 policies stuffed in the back of old organizer that I no longer use but keep around because of the information I have in it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:I only quoted from the 1995 policies in order to show that the current guidelines in Handbook 1 has not changed from the beginning of the budget allowance program.

Fair enough, but since you only mentioned 1995 policy and not current policy, I thought it was important to cite the policy from the current Handbook.
Gary_Miller wrote:I did this because it seems that some individuals feel since the surplus is not automatically pulled and the MLS now shows a carryover that its OK to hold funds back even if there is no "Specific planned activities or checks waiting to be cleared.

That's certainly a good reminder (although the part about "checks waiting to be cleared" is now irrelevant, since MLS/CUBS charges expenses on the date the check is written and transmitted). The policy on surplus funds has not changed, even though the technical implementation is a bit different now.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”