Funding RS Enrichment Night

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
borenmt

Post by borenmt »

Great discussion - thanks everyone. Probably makes no substantial difference, but for clarification, I got my thread title wrong - should have been "Funding Super Saturdays" (once a year craft projects). I'll take all your feedback and ponder and counsel some more! Thanks!
CHRISTYO

Re: Funding RS Enrichment Night

Post by CHRISTYO »

Is there anyway we can get the general RS to answer our question about if its appropriate to charge for crafts on Super Saturday? I've read the handbook, and agree that when I read " Stake and ward budget funds should be used to pay for all activities, programs, and supplies. Members should not pay fees to participate. Nor should they provide materials, supplies, rental or admission fees" and I understand that to mean the budget is to pay for any projects and all supplies. We have amazing and creative sisters in our stake that want to offer some free crafts, and some for a small fee so those who want to make more than one craft. They say there are wards where they've lived Utah and California who do it all the time, and its just matter of how the Stake interprets the handbook. Is it up to each stake to decide, or can the General RS presidency answer this question once and for all?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As far as I'm aware, the interpretation of the handbook rests with the priesthood leaders. If the ward leaders have questions, they can ask the stake. Likewise the stake can inquire with the area. You can try the same thing with the Relief Society, but I think that line ends at the stake president.

However, this would be a good time to work out the budget for the next year. According to Handbook 1:14.7.1, each organization is to provide detailed estimate of their needs. The bishop takes that into account when making the budget. Different wards have different needs, but I'm pretty sure the universal result is if you don't ask, you won't receive.

As for other wards and stakes - let's just say that some may not be keeping up to date with the Handbook. <grin>
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CHRISTYO

Post by CHRISTYO »

Thank you

Return to “Local Unit Finance”