Baby Blessings

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
dfroshie

Baby Blessings

Post by dfroshie »

Alright yes I'm a newbie and looking around these forums for a quick answer but can not find this. When a baby is blessed, is there a form to fill out / print out / before the blessing? I understand after the blessing you can go in and update the record and it will print out the certificate for the parents. Thanks for your help.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Welcome to the forum.
dfroshie wrote:When a baby is blessed, is there a form to fill out / print out / before the blessing? I understand after the blessing you can go in and update the record and it will print out the certificate for the parents.
There is no form to fill out before the blessing. Since this is not a saving ordinance so it is not recorded on the Church's records. It is only saved in the local MLS. If a record does not exist then one will be created.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dfroshie

Post by dfroshie »

OK so basically after the blessing, I can update the record in the local MLS and print out the cert..?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If the record exists you can just print the certificate after adding the certificate information. If the record does not exist then you will also be creating one.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dfroshie

Post by dfroshie »

Got it! thanks so much.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jdlessley wrote:Welcome to the forum.

There is no form to fill out before the blessing. Since this is not a saving ordinance so it is not recorded on the Church's records. It is only saved in the local MLS. If a record does not exist then one will be created.

This is not entirely true. Usually you print out and have the parents fill out the Child Blessing Record (on the menu select Membership > Ordinances > Forms and then select Child Blessing Record from the list). This provides all the information needed to create the record for the child and provides the parents signature giving their consent to create the child's record. I've seen nothing that says this form has to be filled out before the blessing but it is generally filled out before recording the blessing in MLS.

This form may not strictly be necessary but it is at very least convenient to make sure you have all the information needed to record the blessing and create the child's record.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

eblood66 wrote:This is not entirely true. Usually you print out and have the parents fill out the Child Blessing Record (on the menu select Membership > Ordinances > Forms and then select Child Blessing Record from the list). This provides all the information needed to create the record for the child and provides the parents signature giving their consent to create the child's record. I've seen nothing that says this form has to be filled out before the blessing but it is generally filled out before recording the blessing in MLS.

This form may not strictly be necessary but it is at very least convenient to make sure you have all the information needed to record the blessing and create the child's record.

I print this form for every child born in our ward as soon as I learn of its birth. I then fill out as much information as I can, then leave the rest to fill out with the parents at some future date. Printing out the forms also helps me keep track of which children have been blessed and which haven't. I find them to be a useful reminder.

I've also sent this form with parents when they've blessed their children outside of the unit. That way the recording unit has the right unit numbers to use in creating the record, as well as little details, like the city and county the child was born in (it isn't always obvious which city the hospitals are in around here).
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Seems to me that it IS required:

20.2.3 in Handbook 2:

Before a child is blessed, the ward clerk prepares a Child Blessing Record. After the blessing, the clerk ensures that this form is complete, and he processes or distributes it according to instructions with the form. The clerk also prepares a blessing certificate. The bishop signs the certificate, and he or the clerk gives it to the child’s parent(s) or guardian(s).

I ALWAYS have the clerk fill out the form prior to the blessing. Nothing like having everyone come up to the circle and dad says "Uncle John from Swabovia will be doing the blessing." Then I have to stop the whole process, ask to see his temple recommend or letter from his bishop authorizing him to do the blessing, and so on.

It is nice that the ward clerk has checked all that out previously.
malelega

Re: Baby Blessings

Post by malelega »

dfroshie wrote:Alright yes I'm a newbie and looking around these forums for a quick answer but can not find this. When a baby is blessed, is there a form to fill out / print out / before the blessing? I understand after the blessing you can go in and update the record and it will print out the certificate for the parents. Thanks for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Baby Blessings

Post by russellhltn »

In MLS, Membership Records/More > Record Ordinances/More > Forms/Certificates > Ordinance Record Forms
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Reports and Forms”