Custom Report: Members w/o email

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
archieclewis

Custom Report: Members w/o email

Post by archieclewis »

Is there a way to create a custom report in MLS or LCR for ward members without an email address on record?
I didn't see a criteria with email contact that could be used. Seems like that would be a valid criteria to sort by.
I do see that you may format the results with an email field. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Custom Report: Members w/o email

Post by russellhltn »

archieclewis wrote:I do see that you may format the results with an email field.
You may have to do work around. Print a list and have it sorted by email. That will group everyone without an email together.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I am not in front of MLS right now, but seem to recall the family e-mail and personal e-mail are fields in MLS. If true, you can develop a custom report that will list every member (or every member within certain age parameters) who "does not" have an e-mail listed in their membership record.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Although the email addresses are in MLS, they aren't included in the list of fields you can use to create filter criteria.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

It is very easy to generate a custom report in MLS that will list members and their email address. You cannot use the email address as a filter criteria, but you can show the email address in the resulting custom report. Then it is a simple matter to group those with no email address, or move the data to a spreadsheet application and delete the rows with email addresses.

I have attached an instruction to build one such report in MLS. I also attached the .mls file that can be imported into anyone's MLS installation to generate this report (the .mls file contains no membership data - only the instructions to generate the report from the MLS database). MLS still can do some pretty cool custom reports, even though many membership clerks have largely abandoned it. We have over 150 custom reports in our MLS (though some have been rendered unnecessary due to Ward Council access to LCR).

Note: with custom reports, MLS does a poor job of managing the column widths. You should preview each custom report before printing and drag the columns wider or narrower to get the result you want. The MLS screen is not exactly WYSIWYG - you will probably have to do some via trial and error. When you get it how you like it, MLS will prompt you to save the column settings when you exit the report.
Attachments
Contact info report for MLS.pdf
(406.83 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Contact List.mls
(478 Bytes) Downloaded 194 times
archieclewis

Post by archieclewis »

Thanks so much - very helpful.

Return to “Reports and Forms”