Priesthood offices on certificates

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
acutshall

Priesthood offices on certificates

Post by acutshall »

When I used to print certificates on MLS, it displayed priesthood offices in proper case (ex. "High Priest"), however LCR prints them now in lower case (ex. "high priest"). Is it possible to get this corrected? Currently, I have to take the generated PDF version of the certificate, save it to a USB drive, edit it on my personal computer (it has Adobe), save the edited version to the USB drive, then finally print the edited version.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Priesthood offices on certificates

Post by russellhltn »

If you look at Handbook 2, I think you'll find that "high priest" is not incorrect - at least when used in a narrative. I'm not sure about certificates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

The printing of certificates using LCR has been an issue for a while now. LCR v.4, just released, was supposed to address this. I am unable to confirm that this has happened, as I have recently been released as a Ward Clerk.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The LCR 4 release notes state:
•Fixed an issue causing the officiator’s priesthood office to display incorrectly on some certificates.
However, the certificates still show "high priest" in lowercase, which is not incorrect, as has been stated.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

acutshall wrote:When I used to print certificates on MLS, it displayed priesthood offices in proper case (ex. "High Priest"), however LCR prints them now in lower case (ex. "high priest"). Is it possible to get this corrected?
You might be interested in this topic for additional information. But by and large, since it has been this way for nearly year in LCR and not changed, it is possible that those who make the decisions concerning these things do not feel there is anything to correct.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

English, as a living language, slowly evolves over time. It used to be primarily a Germanic language – including following Germanic capitalization rules (such as capitalizing all nouns). See, for example, the U.S. Declaration of Independence, which has a lot of capitalization that looks strange today. In the past couple of centuries, French, and more recently Spanish, have heavily influenced English vocabulary, and in this case, grammar. In French and Spanish capitalization is much sparser – not even the days of the week are capitalized, for example. Only the first letter in a title is capitalized (as in the title of this thread, which, 20 years ago, would probably have been written as "Priesthood Offices on Certificates").

The good thing about a living language is that it evolves slowly – so we probably have another 50 years before it will become incorrect to write "High Priest." Right now we're in a time where either is correct, and it seems that the Church (at least since the 2010 Handbook) is leaning towards less capitalization.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The certificate is correct in LCR. When the certificates were migrated to LCR, the text was reviewed and this was an intentional change. The priesthood office should not be capitalized in this context.

Return to “Reports and Forms”