Baptism and Confirmation Record

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Baptism and Confirmation Record

Post by jonesrk »

eblood66 wrote:
jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote: MLS would record it - but it wasn't recorded in the backend, so it was lost when the record was transferred to a new unit. So are you saying the church has gone back to holding it in the member's record?
Yes
But I'm pretty sure CDE and MLS still don't transfer that information so any baptisms recorded there (which include any baptism which requires a new record) won't have that information (unless it's added in LCR afterwards).
That appears to be correct for CDE. I checked a few recent convert baptisms and one did have the Elders' (I'm guessing) names and no mrns, but even there the rest of the family didn't even have that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:Now that I know all this, I will pay particular attention to convert baptisms and new convert membership records in the future.
There's another reason to carefully look at new covert records - in the case of convert families, the mission will create the records for the members but apparently doesn't create "child of record" for family members under the age of 8.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
jonesrk wrote:It is recorded now for baptisms and confirmations (I only tested it via LCR non-production).
MLS would record it - but it wasn't recorded in the backend, so it was lost when the record was transferred to a new unit. So are you saying the church has gone back to holding it in the member's record?
Yes
Curious. As I understand it, it was originally eliminated because there was no "business requirement" for it. (Never referenced in any business rules.) The vestiges were only to fill out the certificates. (Why the certificates were never changed to drop that information, I have no idea. Perhaps as a means of detecting falsified documents?)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Curious. As I understand it, it was originally eliminated because there was no "business requirement" for it. (Never referenced in any business rules.) The vestiges were only to fill out the certificates. (Why the certificates were never changed to drop that information, I have no idea. Perhaps as a means of detecting falsified documents?)
It used to store that information locally in MLS. But with LCR there is no 'local' storage anymore so it would have to be stored at CHQ. Probably easiest just to retain it in the membership record.

So unless they did remove the names from the certificate it makes sense that they are storing who performed the ordinances again.

As for why the certificate still has the names, it may just be to satisfy people's desire to have their own official record and that's something people like to remember even if it isn't necessary for church purposes.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:
jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote:[quote ="jonesrk"][quote ="russellhltn"][quote ="drepouille"]The mission office tells me that Convert Data Entry (CDE) does not ask for the names, MRNs, or birthdates of the persons performing the baptism and confirmation.[/ quote]

As far as I'm aware, the church doesn't record the "by who" for ordinances other than priesthood ordinations.[/ quote]

It is recorded now for baptisms and confirmations (I only tested it via LCR non-production).[/ quote]

MLS would record it - but it wasn't recorded in the backend, so it was lost when the record was transferred to a new unit. So are you saying the church has gone back to holding it in the member's record?
Yes
Curious. As I understand it, it was originally eliminated because there was no "business requirement" for it. (Never referenced in any business rules.) The vestiges were only to fill out the certificates. (Why the certificates were never changed to drop that information, I have no idea. Perhaps as a means of detecting falsified documents?)
That's a good thought – keeping a record of who it was could be used as a check for falsified certificates if the need arose.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
saguaro1

Post by saguaro1 »

When I go to print the Baptism and Confirmation record for the certificate it is printing in Spanish and we are an English speaking Branch. How do I correct this? Other reports are in English.
falcon771

Post by falcon771 »

saguaro1 wrote:When I go to print the Baptism and Confirmation record for the certificate it is printing in Spanish and we are an English speaking Branch. How do I correct this? Other reports are in English.
We had the same problem last week, but it was printing in Portuguese. But the problem has rectified itself this week. I would suggest trying again.
falcon771

Post by falcon771 »

eblood66 wrote:
jonesrk wrote:
russellhltn wrote: MLS would record it - but it wasn't recorded in the backend, so it was lost when the record was transferred to a new unit. So are you saying the church has gone back to holding it in the member's record?
Yes
But I'm pretty sure CDE and MLS still don't transfer that information so any baptisms recorded there (which include any baptism which requires a new record) won't have that information (unless it's added in LCR afterwards).
And without CDE and LCR talking wards cannot print baptism certificates with the person who did the baptism and confirmation if that person was a full-time missionary. Or at least it is difficult. They need MRN or DOB to enter that into LCR and print the certificate.
jcarroll

Post by jcarroll »

saguaro1 wrote:When I go to print the Baptism and Confirmation record for the certificate it is printing in Spanish and we are an English speaking Branch. How do I correct this? Other reports are in English.
Welcome to the forum!

Q: Are you printing the certificate from lds.org (website) or from MLS (program on clerk computer)?

First, make sure you have selected the correct language:

To change the language on lds.org:
  1. click the world icon in the top right
    change-language-lds-org-1.png
    (21.62 KiB) Not downloaded yet
  2. click the current language,
    change-language-lds-org-2.png
    (16.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
  3. click on the desired language
    change-language-lds-org-3.png
    (33.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
To change the language in MLS:
  1. Log out of MLS
    change-language-mls-1.png
    (12.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
  2. On the login screen, click the current language in the bottom right
    change-language-mls-2.png
    (853.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet
  3. Select the desired language
    change-language-mls-3.png
    change-language-mls-3.png (48.28 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Does this answer your question?

If this doesn't resolve it, I recommend you contact your Stake Clerk.

Bro. Carroll

Return to “Reports and Forms”