Page 1 of 2

Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:23 pm
by milleju
A recently baptized family in our ward is preparing to go to the temple to be sealed. What form(s) need to be filled out for this, and what is the general process that needs to be followed?

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 pm
by eblood66
milleju wrote:A recently baptized family in our ward is preparing to go to the temple to be sealed. What form(s) need to be filled out for this, and what is the general process that needs to be followed?

They should contact the temple. They will let them know what they need to do and bring.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:11 pm
by drepouille
The bishop should issue a recommend for living ordinances to each parent. It will be marked for endowment, sealing to spouse, and sealing of children.
The bishop will issue Limited Use recommends to each child age 8 and above, so they may be sealed to their parents.
The stake president will need to interview everyone who has received one of the above recommends, and sign the recommends.
Procedures are in Handbook 1. Also read the fine print instructions on the recommends.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:59 am
by milleju
drepouille wrote:The bishop should issue a recommend for living ordinances to each parent. It will be marked for endowment, sealing to spouse, and sealing of children.
The bishop will issue Limited Use recommends to each child age 8 and above, so they may be sealed to their parents.
The stake president will need to interview everyone who has received one of the above recommends, and sign the recommends.
Procedures are in Handbook 1. Also read the fine print instructions on the recommends.


Thank you. This was my assumption but we (me and Bishop's counselors) couldn't find anything on the recommend that had an option to select sealing of children. Guess we need to look a little harder.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46 am
by eblood66
milleju wrote:
drepouille wrote:The bishop should issue a recommend for living ordinances to each parent. It will be marked for endowment, sealing to spouse, and sealing of children.
The bishop will issue Limited Use recommends to each child age 8 and above, so they may be sealed to their parents.
The stake president will need to interview everyone who has received one of the above recommends, and sign the recommends.
Procedures are in Handbook 1. Also read the fine print instructions on the recommends.


Thank you. This was my assumption but we (me and Bishop's counselors) couldn't find anything on the recommend that had an option to select sealing of children. Guess we need to look a little harder.

There is no special mark for the sealing of children. You don't need a special recommend for that, just a normal recommend. The recommend for endowment and sealing to spouse is also good for sealing of children but if the children were to be sealed at a different time, they couple wouldn't need to get special recommends for it.

As drepouille indicated, the children 8 and above do need a limited use recommend.

But the couple should contact the temple as well to make the appointment. They may need to bring some other information as well. It's been a few years but when we sealed our adopted children we had to also bring a family group sheet and adoption documents. The temple will let them know of any other paperwork or documents they need to bring.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:51 am
by russellhltn
eblood66 wrote:But the couple should contact the temple as well to make the appointment. They may need to bring some other information as well.

It's not just a good idea, it's in Handbook 1:3.2.1.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:33 pm
by kim.ellis
The parents of the children are not active members, The grandparents want to have the grandchildren sealed to them. What would the grandparents have to do to accomplish this.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:41 pm
by russellhltn
Read handbook 1. I think the grandparents would have to become the legal parents.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:45 pm
by sbradshaw
kim.ellis wrote:The parents of the children are not active members, The grandparents want to have the grandchildren sealed to them. What would the grandparents have to do to accomplish this.

The Church doesn't perform sealings of living children to anyone other than the legal parents or guardians. In order for this to happen, they would need to be legally adopted.

Re: Temple Form for Family Sealing

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:05 pm
by pvizza1963
My wife and I are going to be sealed soon. My oldest daughter will be sealed with us/. Will her children are grandchildren be sealed to her.