Ward Did not Exist in Previous Quarter, what do I put on report?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jayjayw21

Ward Did not Exist in Previous Quarter, what do I put on report?

Post by jayjayw21 »

I am a new clerk in a newly formed ward and I got an email saying that our quarterly report was past due. We were officially formed as a ward the last week of March, so we literally have nothing to report for the 1st quarter. Is that what I put? Just zeros all the way through?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Ward Did not Exist in Previous Quarter, what do I put on report?

Post by scgallafent »

Did you meet the last Sunday in March?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jayjayw21 wrote:I am a new clerk in a newly formed ward and I got an email saying that our quarterly report was past due. We were officially formed as a ward the last week of March, so we literally have nothing to report for the 1st quarter. Is that what I put? Just zeros all the way through?
Keep in mind, the term "quarterly report" does not mean the information for the "quarter." It means the information for the last month of the quarter. If there was any data for your ward for March, that would the numbers you would report against. If you only met 1 Sunday, you would only report the numbers for that Sunday.

If you go to the Quarterly report in LCR, you can click on the potential links and you will see a list of the members that make up that potential.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If the membership records were expeditiously transfered, keep in mind also that the wards from which you were created no longer have the membership records for those who were in their former wards. I believe it would be appropriate for you to report information concerning those new members of your new unit. In other words, as you go into LCR as davesudweeks suggested, I would record attendance information at the very least for the names of the Young Men, Young Women, and Primary who are now in your ward and cannot be reported in their former ward(s). And if you are able to record priesthood and Relief Society attendance also, the record will be even more complete.

For sacrament meeting attendance, if your ward was created on the last Sunday of the month, the former ward should have reported everyone at that meeting and you will have zero for the quarter. I would check with the former ward clerk and find out how attendance is being recorded.

But if you had your own sacrament meeting on that day, or if the clerk of the ward from which you were divided did not record attendance for those who are now in your ward, I would not at all feel bad about reporting that number and treating that last Sunday as a combined meeting of the two wards (if it was) or as your first ward sacrament meeting. In either case, your "average" for the last month of the quarter will be the number for that single Sunday.

All of the attendance information has budget implications, so don't double dip on the sacrament meeting numbers, but make sure everyone is recorded. And make sure to record the attendance of members at their other meetings so that their attendance is recorded in whichever ward the membership record resides at the end of the quarter.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson has hit the nail on the head. The unit was active on March 25, so there was possibly a regular meeting block on March 25 ... or maybe not. The records were moved before the end of the quarter. To further complicate things, this was a three-for-two split (three units now exist where there used to be two) and the other two wards involved have already submitted their quarterly reports. The other wards' reports suggest that they used a "pre-split" sacrament meeting attendance number but a "post-split" count for youth and Primary children attending.

Realistically, the solution is probably for the stake clerk and the three ward clerks involved to sit down and figure out what has already been reported and then decide how to most accurately report for the new ward. The stake clerk will also probably have to coordinate budget adjustments between the three wards.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”