Create a new record for a newborn baby

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
greggo

Re: Create a new record for a newborn baby

Post by greggo »

What's missing from this discussion is when should a record for a child under age 8 be created (Handbook 1: 13.6.2).

Church leaders are not supposed to just create records for children under age 8. They are created after the child is blessed or after the parents give permission. For a record to be created for a child who is not blessed, at least one of the parents must be a member of the church, and both parents need to give permission (unless only one parent has legal custody). It used to be that the permission from a nonmember parent must be written, but the current handbook does not mention that.
KennethLeeDilley

Post by KennethLeeDilley »

tubaloth wrote:A new membership record is created when the baby is blessed in the ward. If they haven't been blessed I don't know if you create a "record" for them. (That wouldn't happen until they are baptized). When the baby is blessed you print a Blessing Certificate.

I'm not really sure what the churches policy on this is (a baby blessing that was never recorded).
I have the same thing in our ward. Find out a 18 month old didn't have the baby blessing recorded from their previous ward. I'm kind of just trusting the dad that it happen. We are still waiting for the parents to tell us when it actually happen.
Brother, I caution this kind of response of "I don't know if you create a "record" for them." You make it sound like a dubious thing to do.

You create a child of record for many reason, one being so that they can be on Primary rosters to help out that auxiliary to know who they need to facilitate too. Another reason is for Home Teachers and Ward Leaders to know who should/is in the household so that they may be facilitated too also.

https://www.lds.org/help/support/create ... d?lang=eng

1). Those who have been baptized and confirmed.
2). Those under age 9 who have been blessed but not baptized.
3). Those who are not accountable because of intellectual disabilities, regardless of age.
4). Unblessed children under 8 when (a) at least one parent is a member of the Church and (b) both parents give permission for a record to be created. This includes children of converts. (If one parent does not have legal custody of the child, the permission of the parent who has custody is sufficient.)
SmithBri

Post by SmithBri »

Here is the MLS procedure, however, when I click on Ordinance I can only record a Baptism or Priesthood Ordination.

On the MLS menu bar, click Membership.
Click Ordinances.
Depending on the situation, click either Record Child Blessing or (if there has been no blessing) New Child of Record.
makereality

Post by makereality »

Any visibility on when LDS.org will allow for this to be documented? We have an 18 month old who was just blessed tonight (Thursday) in his home with the assistance of the Bishop. Noted, the child has no record yet as this was never done at the last unit. Thanks eblood66, I Am glad to see there is a way to create a record without documenting an ordinance.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

makereality wrote:Any visibility on when LDS.org will allow for this to be documented?
Creating new records will be supported in LCR 4.0. The release notes indicate that it will be released tomorrow. Of course sometimes things come up and releases don't happen quite on time. But most likely it will be in the next few days.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

As of last evening, our stake is on the Beta 4 version and the create record option is there!
makereality

Post by makereality »

It just keeps getting better and better. Thanks ebloodd66 and Biggles.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

eblood66 wrote:Creating new records will be supported in LCR 4.0. The release notes indicate that it will be released tomorrow. Of course sometimes things come up and releases don't happen quite on time. But most likely it will be in the next few days.
One of the developers has commented in another thread that due to some problems that have come up, the LCR 4.0 release will not happen for a few weeks still.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”