Advice for Moving Records

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
derekdrennan

Advice for Moving Records

Postby derekdrennan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:16 am

Hey Everyone,

I've been a clerk for about 6 or 7 months now and I just wanted to get some feedback on something that I struggle with to see if you can offer me any suggestions. I live in a ward with extremely high turnover. We have an especially high amount of inactive members who will move out and the responsibility falls on me to find out where they went so I can move their records. Since the families are inactive, no one tends to know anything about them and I have to start with a blank slate.

I have read and understand the 8 step process.
-Contact the occupants at the member’s last known address and ask them if they have a forwarding address.
-Use postal services to find a forwarding address.
-Call any last known telephone numbers.
-Send an email to any last known email addresses.
-Contact known family members and relatives.
-Contact known friends, Church members, and full-time missionaries.
-Contact ward priesthood and auxiliary leaders.
-Check available online social networks.

What steps do you prefer to do first and/or have the most success with? What step do you prefer for difficult cases? I am currently dealing with a member who moved and in my opinion, changed his phone number and e-mail on his LDS profile. I tried using a site called 'ussearch' but his name didn't come up out of the 80 hits. I also found out this site is not accurate and doesn't give you the most current address with certainty. It shows me as never having lived in Washington, but I have been here for 5 years and own a house, which I figure would be easy for a site like that to pull up.

To be honest, I feel uncomfortable when calling the numbers on file to ask people for their new address. Generally I don't get an answer or a callback. If they do answer, they don't feel comfortable giving the new address to me since they obviously don't know me. Any advice for me on these calls so I don't feel so awkward and to make them feel comfortable giving me their address? What are good lines that you use for this?

I've also read through this webpage for more advice: http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Locating_members Is there anything from here that you tend to favor?

Thanks for any advice, I appreciate it!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Advice for Moving Records

Postby russellhltn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 am

derekdrennan wrote:We have an especially high amount of inactive members who will move out and the responsibility falls on me to find out where they went so I can move their records.

First off, in my opinion, it shouldn't all fall on you to do all the legwork. The ward has a couple of priesthood quorums who's goal is to visit every family once a month. There's another auxiliary whose goal is to contact every adult sister once a month. It makes reason stare that if these organizations somehow let someone slip though the cracks, it falls on just one or two people to do what the entire resources of the ward failed at.

There's certainly some clerical-type things you can do, but I'd talk with the bishop about offloading some of the contact work. I don't think there's anything in there that says the steps are to be done by the clerk (other than the actual move). If it was up to me, I'd make it the task of the HT/VT that were assigned to them.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

davesudweeks

Re: Advice for Moving Records

Postby davesudweeks » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 am

The responsibility with finding this information lies with the ward council (of which the clerk is a member). The clerk's responsibility is to move the records once the information is found.

We have also found our missionaries are happy to go talk to the new occupants of the home and the neighbors - it beats tracting.

Our Assistant Clerk has had some success contacting the parents of less active members (if their parents are members). You get the parent's ward from the member's membership record, then contact their bishop and request a contact number or email for the parents who are in his ward. Then you ask the parent if they have a current address for their child.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”