How do I change the last name of a member?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
markec

How do I change the last name of a member?

Post by markec »

Hello - I'm the new membership clerk in my ward.

A sister in our ward has requested her last name be changed to her maiden name as she was recently divorced.

How do I do this?

Thanks,
Mark Castillo
Highland 35th Ward
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How do I change the last name of a member?

Post by russellhltn »

markec wrote:A sister in our ward has requested her last name be changed to her maiden name as she was recently divorced.
First, you may want to talk with the bishop. Handbook 1: 13.6.1 indicates that her name should reflect her legal name. It's unclear from your post if that is her current legal name or not. Getting between a sister and the name she desires to be called by is not a good place for a new clerk. ;) That's why I'm suggesting you talk to the bishop. He may know the status and can run interference if necessary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

markec wrote:A sister in our ward has requested her last name be changed to her maiden name as she was recently divorced.
Assuming that is her new legal name, you would go into Leader and Clerk Resources and find her name in the Member List under Membership. Select her name, then View Member Profile, and then the pencil icon on the right.

Change her Member Name and her Preferred Name as needed. (Her Maiden Name should already be correct, of course.)

Finally (and this is the step most often forgotten), click on the Household tab, Edit Household Name, and then record and save the new last name.
markec

Post by markec »

I have talked to my Bishop about the name change.

Thanks for the tip!

Mark
akrusinger

Post by akrusinger »

I believe you need to have a legal document to make the change.
eric1971

Member records best practices

Post by eric1971 »

MEMBERSHIP RECORDS (best practices)

“PREFERRED” NAME: Use the “preferred name” section of the individual record (including primary/nursery age). What name is a member most known by, for example, “Terrence Alan Smith” is called “Terry.” NOTE: Editing the “preferred name” does not change the legal name on the church record – only the name showing on roles and reports.

PHOTO: Add a high-quality “individual” (up-close) photo to each contact and a “household” (family) photo to each household. The bishopric can also ask members if they can use something posted on social media, or take a photo of a picture on the wall in their home (no “clerks office mugshots”). NOTE: Individuals can add photos to their church record, but it can be easier to have members text/email photos to the bishopric (understatement).

CONTACT INFO: Add the “individual” cell phone and email for each member (including youth)

Moroni Chapter 6: “their names were taken (and a high-quality digital photo), that they might be remembered and nourished…”
garystroble

Re: Member records best practices

Post by garystroble »

eric1971 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:55 pm CONTACT INFO: Add the “individual” cell phone and email for each member (including youth)
Youth cell phone and email addresses cannot be added without parent or guardian permission per policy. Ditto for photos of youth.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”