stake counselors presiding in ward meetings.

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: stake counselors presiding in ward meetings.

Post by lajackson »

johnshaw wrote:An area authority doesn't preside unless assigned by a member of the twelve. Technically the 70 ask must be assigned to preside, so sitting in the audience is correct for area and general 70
We were taught by a member of the Presidency of the Seventy that an Area Seventy presides anywhere within the area where he lives and that he can also be assigned to a stake conference outside of his area, where he will preside at that conference by assignment from the President of the Quorum of the Twelve.

We were also taught that a General Authority Seventy presides anywhere in the world when an apostle is not present.
ivanmesco

Post by ivanmesco »

eblood66 wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:I was thinking that the sacrament would need be given to him first (which would be more difficult if he's not on the stand), but I can't find that directive in the Handbook so it may just be tradition from earlier policy!
Handbook 2 section 20.4.3 (4th paragraph)
Counselors to priesthood leaders do not receive keys. They are set apart and function in their callings by assignment and delegated authority. All ward and stake auxiliary organizations operate under the direction of the bishop or stake president, who holds the keys to preside. Auxiliary presidents and their counselors do not receive keys. They receive delegated authority to function in their callings.

To preside, a stake counselor has to be delegated ( not just visit in vacation an to preside by default over the bishop or the branch president ). It is about the keys that he not have, but he could receive them from the stake president.
patrickkikulwe

Post by patrickkikulwe »

Wow! After all has been said;
Where i come from, the Presiding officer must(or may for your opinion) sit on the stand each time he attends that particular unit.
But, like many here have said, i have seen my Stake President sit in the congregation for reasons that i feel are only known to him.
President Packer, in his talk titled The unwritten order of things, counseled; that sometimes in the Church we are to learn by experience and observation, even those things that we may think are not written in our Handbooks or scriptures for that matter. And in this case, i have always observed that each time an Area or General Authority attends a unit, he automatically presides, hence is seated on the stand. The rest, perhaps Agency kicks in.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I have an example of where an area seventy had to preside at a stake conference outside his area.

In January 2008 Elder Richard G. Hinckley was assigned to preside at a stake conference in Las Vegas. That was the weekend President Hinckley was deteriorating and he would be gone the next night. So he had to leave Las Vegas and get back to Salt Lake. They found that an area seventy had a weekend off so they asked him to go to Las Vegas. Was not hard, the area seventy lived in St. George. He finished up the conference Sunday sessions.

A very interesting story is told of that meeting, the area seventy related some things and a family in back realized the story might help them as they had a daughter who had some pain in the lower abdomen, they realized that they should see a doctor right away. The doctor diagnosed appendicitis, and they were able to get that resolved, it is possible had that area seventy not gone the outcome might have been different.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JamesAnderson wrote:I have an example of where an area seventy had to preside at a stake conference outside his area.
An area seventy always presides within his own area (assuming no higher authority is present). But an area seventy may also be assigned to preside at any stake conference or meeting by direction from the Quorum of the Twelve.
clayton.petersen

Post by clayton.petersen »

General Authority Seventies are called to serve as special witnesses of Jesus Christ, they represent the quorum of the twelve apostles and it is my opinion that if they are called " General Authorities" that means they preside anywhere they go if there is not a higher authority present.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

The area authority that was in our ward was told directly by an apostle that he was to sit on the stand and preside unless a general authority was present. He attended the ward and would sit on the stand about once a month but always stayed away from our stake conference, he was most likely on assignment in another stake anyway. He has since been released and sent on a mission.

Return to “General Discussions”