Downtime and Forum Migration!

The latest forum news and information
cpitt

Downtime and Forum Migration!

Post by cpitt »

The LDSTech forum will experience some scheduled downtime today as the LDSTech team migrates from vBulletin to phpBB. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like to learn more about phpBB feel free to visit https://www.phpbb.com/about/.

-The LDSTech Team
TimRiker
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Downtime and Forum Migration!

Post by TimRiker »

Looks like the migration went well. Feel free to post in this thread anything that does not work as well as it should.
bdayley

Post by bdayley »

I monitored new posts on the old board using the RSS feed and Google Reader. I don't see a feed for the new board. While I read that phpBB doesn't support RSS directly, it can do an ATOM-formatted feed, which should work. Maybe it's not turned on? If so, is this by intent or by accident? And, if it is on, can someone point out the URL?

Thanks.
cpitt

Post by cpitt »

bdayley wrote:I monitored new posts on the old board using the RSS feed and Google Reader. I don't see a feed for the new board. While I read that phpBB doesn't support RSS directly, it can do an ATOM-formatted feed, which should work. Maybe it's not turned on? If so, is this by intent or by accident? And, if it is on, can someone point out the URL?

Thanks.
bdayley, Atom feeds are enabled, but there are no links to said feeds in the template. I'm opening a ticket to include feed links in the template. In the mean time you can access a Topic specific feeds by changing the word viewtopic.php to feed.php in the url of any topic (ie the feed for this top is https://tech.lds.org/forum/feed.php?f=4&t=14445). If you want a feed for the forum as a whole or any sub-forums you can add the url of the forum or the sub-forum to your feed reader.

To find out more about phpBB atom feeds feel free to read this article on them.
tdeforest

Post by tdeforest »

Congratulations!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Service with a smile.... any kind of notice would be nice... it'd feel more like an actual community
cpitt

Post by cpitt »

JohnShaw wrote:Service with a smile.... any kind of notice would be nice... it'd feel more like an actual community
I apologize that is my fault.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

On the main page I used to be able to collapse the categories of forums. I had "what's new" and "community discussions" collapsed (the first two groups) so that "church technologies" was the first open group because that's what I use most of the time. I looked through all the "user control panel" settings and didn't see anything that would control the main page.

Also, in the control panel > board preferences > edit global settings, the only choice for language is "british english" so I'm getting "font colour" instead of my preferred "font color".
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

sasgrw wrote:On the main page I used to be able to collapse the categories of forums. I had "what's new" and "community discussions" collapsed (the first two groups) so that "church technologies" was the first open group because that's what I use most of the time. I looked through all the "user control panel" settings and didn't see anything that would control the main page.
One option if you are using FireFox is to use a GreaseMonkey script to modify the page. I have one that I just wrote that does this. I would attach it, but I don't see how. If you are interested in the script you can PM me and I'll send it to you.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

JonesRK wrote:One option if you are using FireFox is to use a GreaseMonkey script to modify the page. I have one that I just wrote that does this. I would attach it, but I don't see how. If you are interested in the script you can PM me and I'll send it to you.
I appreciate the offer but I'm hoping the functionality we had before can be restored. I just wanted to point out a feature that was missing after the 'upgrade'.

Return to “Announcements & Policies”