WiFi Password changed April 1st

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
timnew

WiFi Password changed April 1st

Postby timnew » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 am

I got an email on April 1st saying the WiFi password was changing. The letter goes on to say other silly things.
Sooo, was this an April Fools joke? I cant find anything official online.

sbradshaw

Re: WiFi Password changed April 1st

Postby sbradshaw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 am

Wi-Fi passwords can be different for every meetinghouse. If your meetinghouse Wi-Fi password is changing, it would be under the direction of your ward or stake leaders – so I would check with them.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am

sbradshaw wrote:Wi-Fi passwords can be different for every meetinghouse. If your meetinghouse Wi-Fi password is changing, it would be under the direction of your ward or stake leaders – so I would check with them.

SAM can you explain this, you say it so casually as if it's the most common thing, but in my experience it isn't. The Wi-Fi password for LDS Access is not easily changed for any ward/stake unless I've missed something big.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

johnshaw

Postby johnshaw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 am

timnew wrote:I got an email on April 1st saying the WiFi password was changing. The letter goes on to say other silly things.
Sooo, was this an April Fools joke? I cant find anything official online.

There actually was a prank on April 1 that the password for LDS Access was changing, I saw it passed around facebook.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”

― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am

I'm reporting based on memory of previous threads on the forum about ways to keep LDSAccess from getting overloaded – one of which would be to change the password and don't distribute it widely – but I can't find any specific thread that says the password can be changed, so I think I'm probably remembering wrong. You would probably know better than me if it's possible. Sorry about that. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:08 pm

In the early days when the equipment was installed by the stake with off the shelf equipment, they had control of the WiFi password. With the church centrally managing it, it may still be possible, but from what I've heard it's extremely difficult to convince those in power to do it. Difficult, because it would require placing that building on a different management profile making management a pain.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”